Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

gambled on a bargain.

rory

Nice one.

For collimation I had a good read of these two sites first and then went for it...

http://www.astronomyhints.com/collimation.html

http://www.astro-baby.com/collimation/astro%20babys%20collimation%20guide.htm

My collimation might now only be off by half the distance between a gnat's balls.

I did my first collimation using piece of paper with a graticule printed on it and a 5mm hole in the centre**. Did pretty well because once I got a Cheshire it turned out that my primary's centre circle was just touching the Cheshire's central dot...

.O <---closer than that

** The nice thing is that in daylight you can see the graticule on the paper in the mirrors.

minigrat.png

Cut out just outside the "minute markers" and dot over the eyepiece holder with a bit of sellotape.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I'm sure there are better ways, and experts who can point you to even better resources - but as a first time collimator it worked for me and the results seem fine.

Certainly an improvement on what the factory set-up was.

checked over thoroughly now, no marks or chips on either mirrors. the only things missing is the eyepiece tray that attaches to the mount(not bothered,wouldnt use it anyways. and the 2" e/p attachment. so looks to be sound. cant wait to try it side by side with my frac. be interesting.

Looks like a result to me buddy.;)

Sorry to read about ya hound it's always hard losing one.

thanks. harder than i ever thought it would be saying goodbye to a dog.

as for the scope, im so excited ,but wall to wall cloud is doing my head in. ive read all sorts about modifications . flocking, wixey's, setting circles and so on . but stuff all that for now, i just want to look a a nice glob ...without the modifications.:eek:

right, i need a collimator, i think that should be first on the list.

as for the scope, im so excited ,but wall to wall cloud is doing my head in. ive read all sorts about modifications . flocking, wixey's, setting circles and so on . but stuff all that for now, i just want to look a a nice glob ...without the modifications.;)

I hope after all the excitement you don't prefer the view of your refractor!

andrew

I hope after all the excitement you don't prefer the view of your refractor!

andrew

;) , to be fair, that astromaster (apart from the finder) has been exellent.ive seen more than i thought i would from my town location. i even got a faint glimpse of m33 once . im looking foward to doing some comparisons with the two. eventually though i think the celestron will be sold.

;) , to be fair, that astromaster (apart from the finder) has been exellent.ive seen more than i thought i would from my town location. i even got a faint glimpse of m33 once . im looking foward to doing some comparisons with the two. eventually though i think the celestron will be sold.

ya can't sell ya first born....:eek::D

as for the scope, im so excited ,but wall to wall cloud is doing my head in. ive read all sorts about modifications . flocking, wixey's, setting circles and so on . but stuff all that for now, i just want to look a a nice glob ...without the modifications.;)

It might be worth using that paper version first. Have a practice and get the feel of things. The first time always takes a while. After that, with a collimator it's a five minute job :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

it did seem to good to be true. i didnt beleive it until id seen it in the flesh.

ive already stuck my clumsy hands all over it (not mirrors :)) and snapped a screw. ive fitted nice shiney replacements in all but the busted one. hasnt effected the usability at all. although i think the way ive tried drilling the mirror holder to get old screw out,i'll have to try and get a second hand spare mirror cradle/holder at some point IF i want the final screw to fit into place ,such is my d.i.y :D

( i dont suppose for a moment spares loke that are common are they ?)

but yeah, had a few great views with it so far,and looking foward to many more. and on the nights i cant , theres mod's to plan.

illl get some pics on to the members equipment forum or my album page and let you know when ive done so paul.

;)

There are such things as screw extractors which will remove bolts where the head has broken off.

You simply drill down the centre of the screw/bolt with a drill bit smaller than the bolt, then screw the extractor into the hole and it will turn your busted screw for you and remove it.

Check out youtube for videos of how it's done. Dead simple, and screw extractors are cheap.

Archived