First Light + A Big Thank You

After reading what felt like all the advice on this forum I have gone and bought a Skywatcher Explorer 200P on an EQ5...! :(

The 200P arrived Friday in two large boxes at which point I dutifully unpacked everything, assembled all the parts, balanced the 'scope, set the finderscope, set the latitude and finally collimated. First impressions were: (1) I'm out of my depth; (2) very well made for the price; (3) this should be fun! I did chuckle to myself at the prospect of a clear night...

First light was Saturday for about 3 hours, generally getting used to the mount, etc.. Setup was simple enough (and fine for my purposes), level the mount and align with north. I suppose it took about 40 minutes for the 'scope to cool, at which point everything became sharper; this was when I tested the collimation on Arcturus...phew, not bad! Regarding the plossl eyepieces; yes the 10mm is now on the subs bench! The 25mm was more than acceptable, though; without exception, all the stars were pinpoint. I have to say, the clarity and brightness from this 8" Newtonian is very impressive. Just a slight shame there wasn't enough time to go hunting for a galaxy or two. I did, however, manage some very good views of Saturn, Mars, Venus and the Moon.

I wasn't sure how I'd get on with the finder scope. It wasn't so much the image orientation, more the craning required when the scope gets towards the vertical! I'd already ordered the right angle version in anticipation of this problem which will get its outing next clear night (hopefully soon!).

More work to do regarding collimation and setup, but enjoying every moment! So much more to learn...

Thank you to everyone for all the (indirect) advice offered on this forum. I didn't feel the need to post one question! And I don't feel like a complete novice anymore!

There will be questions, though, as the hobby progresses. Guaranteed!

Clear skies to you all :D

Glad it's not just me who chuckles to himself . That was a very calm response to seeing Saturn, I'm with you on getting the right angle finder and collimation is my job this week , though my star test is fine I just want to have a go. Good luck with it.

Congratulations on getting that set up Albert and very please that you manage to get it out there with all the weather we have been having. We are always here to answer your questions and there isn't anything that you are likely to do that we have all done at some time or other - within the cosmos we're all beginners really.:(

Clear skies soon for you to get out there again,

James

wow, what a first night you had. I think it was about a month before i got a chance to see saturn and yeah, scuffers right, very calm response from you on that one(I was doing backflips when I saw her). 10mm is pretty pants but ok for the moon. its a great scope (i've got the same) that will give you sooo much pleasure and at times a little frustration but it wouldn't be as fun if it was all easy.

Scott

Hmm, was a slightly underwhelming narrative regarding the planets, granted. Thing is, this is first light with this 'scope. Saturn is, of course, jaw-dropingly stunning, but this isn't the first time I've seen it (neighbour has a TEC140) and for some reason I moved on to the next bit without further ado. (Note to one's self: Will try not to miss bits out in future.) Sorry!

I'm glad you are enjoying the scope.

One of the R&DAS members made a spotter with a diagonal for his Newt, I will try to get him to do an illustrated write up for the summer edition of the club newsletter that I will post on here.

You will need some drainpipe and an old pair of binocs.

Hmm, was a slightly underwhelming narrative regarding the planets, granted. Thing is, this is first light with this 'scope. Saturn is, of course, jaw-dropingly stunning, but this isn't the first time I've seen it (neighbour has a TEC140) and for some reason I moved on to the next bit without further ado. (Note to one's self: Will try not to miss bits out in future.) Sorry!

Sorry Albert, didn't realise:o Glad you're enjoying it anyways:D:D

I got my first scope, the same 200p on EQ5, a year ago exactly. Really gutted I put off getting it as the nights get dark so late, so quickly now!

I would recommend a Telrad or other suitable non-magnifying red-dot/reticule. It makes finding and lining up TOO EASY... Once I got that I was on my way without wasting so much time finding objects in the sky. (Having Stellarium & loading the Telrad overlay will enable you locate objects in seconds).

Then you might want to look at adding a motor later - once you are settled with how to use the scope. A motor will mean no more manual tracking and more comfortable viewing! I only just got one of these and again, don't understand why I put it off for so long!

Ash

Well done Albert, glad its going well. The learning curve is steep, but thats part of the enjoyment.

When I put my SW 130 together I first thought "what the hell is this!" as it seemed very large and complicated. Now though, it seems very small. Strange how we get used to things like that and feel a desire to move on or upgrade, so to be fair, the 200P is probably a far better choice as it should last you well.

Now, we just need some clearer skies.

Good luck!

Scott :hello2:

Nice report. I feel your excitement. One thing i find strange about anyone who owns a SW scope (myself included) is that we all find the 10mm supplied EP pretty bad while the 25mm is pretty good.

I cant understand the different in quality between both EP's which come from the same company. Surely the quality of the 10mm EP is something the company that make them should consider looking at and changing.

My SW scope..................is the Heritage 130P model. From box to assembly/operation took all of less than 2 mins.

My 200mm scope (Celestron 8SE) took about 5 mins from box to operational.

Nice report. I feel your excitement. One thing i find strange about anyone who owns a SW scope (myself included) is that we all find the 10mm supplied EP pretty bad while the 25mm is pretty good.

I cant understand the different in quality between both EP's which come from the same company. Surely the quality of the 10mm EP is something the company that make them should consider looking at and changing.

The two main problems with the 10mm eyepiece: (1) poor eye relief meant removing my glasses then refocussing, not much fun when switching eps; (2) dull image quality, i.e. it seemed there was a layer of clingfilm over the lens! Observing the moon was a little easier but tainted by some discolouration at points of contrast, like crater rims.

HTH

Archived