Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi all from Devon, UK

Xunil

Hi Everyone,

Signing in from "sunny" North Devon, UK (ok, the middle of nowhere!).

I'm fairly new to Astronomy, currently using a pair of Bresser binoculars and a home-made super cheap car-top wooden mount (which works surprisingly well!). I'm into my fifth month of addiction (obsession?), and have realised that there is no hope of escape for me now.

I'm currently learning the constellations with software such as stellarium and XEphem, and getting out whenever there's a break in the cloud - pretty much every evening is punctuated by regular visits to the back door to have a peek at the sky "just in case".

I've managed a look at a cluster or two, Andromeda but so far the seven sisters have eluded me. Fingers crossed for the Perseids next month.

Would love to hear from fellow Janners..oops, sorry, Devonians if there are any here, especially the sort who like to get out and actually look at stuff - Id love to organise a star-party (have a great spot and permission to use!).

I'm a member of the North Devon Astronomy Society, a nice friendly bunch I think, just getting to know them.

Anyway, it's good to find some forums with a few Brits, I look forward to meeting a few of you :D

Cheers,

Tel.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Tel, Welcome to SGL

I'm from next door ... Somerset.

Not a good time of year for the 7 sisters (M45), best to wait until Autumn for them. Dowloading Stellarium is a great start for any beginner astronomer. Please feel free to ask any questions, were a helpful bunch

Vega

Welcome to the forum Tel..

The Pleiades (M45/ Severn Sisters) are viewable at about 4:00 in the morning.. If you scan the sky to the left of Mars you should find them. If you're having trouble finding M45 in Stellarium try searching for the Maia Nebula.. For some reason thats what Stellarium calls them.

Scott

Hi Tel,

Welcome to SGL.

Like the look of your Bino mount - better than resting them on the rotary wahing line (which is what I used to do). :(

You will get lots of useful and friendly advice here - best astronomy forum there is!!

Cheers

Bill :)

Whoa! 16 replies!

Hiya everyone, thanks for the warm welcome.

In reply to Anthony, I posted a few pics here the other day, just scroll down to my 2nd post in the thread (some Aussie forums - I found the lounge through them :) ).

I'm interested in heading over to the fair - I'm pretty sure a few of NDAS group are going too - of course, depends on if I'm allowed out to play :( Is there a web site for the event anywhere with details?

Tel.

Archived