Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Cumbria

Albenn

Complete beginner here when it comes to seriously looking around the sky, although like many other posters here I have had a life long fascination with astronomy and am learning to recognise a few more constellations.

After viewing the likes of the The Moon, Jupiter & moons, Orion nebula and the Andromeda Galaxy (nice fuzzy smear) with my binoculars, I now want to purchase a scope to see a little more. However, I didn't realise until I began researching for my first scope, that there was so much to consider and was convinced it was a 'Black Art'.

Anyway, after many, many hours of Googling, reading forums and numerous headaches! I am quite near to making a decision but need some more experienced members to help me make my final choice.

I'll not post these questions here, but will fine tune my research and post in the relevant section.

Clear Skies

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Mikerea

Thanks for info re Stellarium and would advise all beginners to get this. I have already have Stellarium and have found it a really useful tool in the search for my first scope as it allows you to enter scope and eyepiece specs in order to give a simulation of what you could expect to see of an object.

In your experience, does the view given by Stellarium represent what I would see in a 'real world' situation?

sorry if im stealing someone elses question- yes stellarium does exactly that (the location i mean- not the quality of the view!)

Thanks for info. The specs for my bino's when entered into Stellarium are pretty close to the actual scale of the views seen in reality. I was just unsure of the representation of more complex equipment to which I have no access to for comparison.

Just wish they were as full coloured and detailed as the Stellarium views!

Clear Skies

Archived