Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion - a two panel mosaic emaphasising the Hα

Bob Andersson

Hi folks,

Here's another one I shot last year with the Pentax 165mm focal length MF lens wide open at f/2.8.

• Orion_1024h_v7.jpg
    Clickable for a 1,024px × 1,649px version

This was my first attempt at blending Hα narrowband data together with regular RGB exposures. The stars tend to disappear somewhat in the smaller versions but you can find a 1920px x 1200px version rotated into a more screen friendly orientation here.

3 x 1000 second exposures in Hα for each panel

3 x 200 second exposures in each of R, G and B for both panels

3 x 40 second exposures in each of R, G and B for the bottom panel

3 x 5 second exposures in each of R, G and B for the bottom panel

Pentax 165mm f/2.8 lens plus FLI ML16803 camera

Bob.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the kind words. The exposures were unguided but that's not a particularly big deal for my ASA mount, especially given the short focal length of the lens.

Perhaps I should add some very brief processing notes. The usual pre-processing (calibration and registration) was done in PixInsight including a separate HDR blend of the RGB images for the Orion and Flame nebulae. What you see is a combination of "colourised" Hα with the stars removed, RGB renditions of the Orion and Flame nebulae, also with the stars removed, blended onto the Hα to add a little local colour and finally the stars extracted from the 200 second RGB exposures (no nebulosity) added on top. I'm still not very happy with the star bloat even after a spot of deconvolution so more to learn... :)

Bob.

Downright fabulous H alpha catch. I'll be honest and say that I'd prefer in black and white unless you were going to get the RGB to play a bigger role.

But really, that Ha is pure, pure class. It's deep and clean.

Olly

it's times like these i wish i could swear on here. rest assured i had a little swear to myself when i saw this... wow. amazing.

this kind of image could serve a great educational purpose to show people what there is out there that we can't see, what cameras can capture, the difference between visual astronomy and astrophotography, and to put things like the orion nebula/horsehead (hellooooo little horsie!) into context. especially since most people are familiar with the shape of orion.

Exciting version of the Orion systemThe ha enhancement certainly adds drama to It all.

After all, This nebulous complex is after all, a stellar birthplace, and the gentle visual serenity of it through a telescope, is really a violent and turbulent maternity ward.

Great Picture.:D

Ron.

Hi 4lefts,

Sorry for the late reply but I've been away. Yes, you've hit the nail on the head. Of course it gives me pleasure to look at the image but I never waste an opportunity to show it off as most folk have some idea of what the constellation looks like with the naked eye and if I can excite a little wonder and maybe a spark of curiousity then I think I've done a good thing!

Bob.

Archived