Hi from another newbie

bobhughes

Hi everyone, another newbie based near Reading.

Bought my first scope a few weeks ago (Skywatcher Explorer 130M) and I'm loving it. My wife is getting neglected as I'm always outside in the garden.

So far I have had good views of Jupiter, Venus, the moon and M42 but haven't managed to see Saturn due to trees in the way ;)

Anyway, any beginner advice welcome and I've just got my copy of Turn Left at Orion and a roll of red film for my laptop screen.

Hello Rob and welcome to SGL. Saturn the same for me at the moment, I have to catch glimpses between branches. you cant go wrong with Turn Left, great book, did you get the new ring bound version ? Happy gazing.

Thanks for the warm welcome from everyone. Paul, I did get the ringbound version which is great and I've been working my way through the moon section to get used to the scope.

Hopefully I'll be going to the inlaws soon who live in Somerset and I'll be taking the scope with me for some dark sky spotting weather permitting.

I get the feeling that this will be an expensive hobby ;)

Hello Rob. Welcome aboard. It is a great hobby, which will undoubtedly become expensive :)

I have a SW 130 too - great scope for starting with. As for the roll of red film on the computer, I like that idea. But, get a red light torch instead and print off some star maps from the following website, it's a massive help!!

www.ngc891.com

Clear skies ;)

Scott

Staffordshire.

Archived