Hi from Scotland

stripe

Hi

I've borrowed my mates Meade etx-80 for a few weeks while he's on holiday (he hasn't gotten round to using it yet!). If I like it, I'm looking to buy one.

I'm based pretty much half way between Glasgow and Edinburgh, so hopefully I'll suffer from very little light polution.

I'll no doubt be on asking about how to set the scope up properly, as my initial test haven't been ver fruitful. (maybe that is why my mate hasn't used it!)

cheers

Stripe

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. It will be interesting to see how you get on with the ETX80. In my opinion, the difficulty with the smaller scopes that come with GOTO is that for many objects, in particular deep sky objects(galaxies and nebula) the aperture size won't be enough to resolve sufficient detail to make observing interesting. So although the GOTO system lists 15,000 objects, that doesn't mean you will get to see anywhere near that number. For the same money you could purchase the U.K's most popular telescope and that is the Skywatcher 200P Dobsonian which have a far superior light grab for those distant DSO's. Regrettably this scope does not have GOTO and you will have to locate and track an object manually. I am not trying to put you off the ETX scope as it is a good performer for its size and does make finding and tracking objects easier. Only you can decide whether there is enough aperture to sustain your interest when you finally lock on to your chosen object.

I always recommend that before anyone buys a scope, that they attend a couple of public observation sessions that are run by local astro groups and observing groups to have a look through all sorts of scopes and sizes to work out what will best meet their observing expectations. I hope that helps.

Clear skies and look forward to reading on how you got on with the scope.

James

Hi Stripe,

Welcome to SGL, It's a great place for help and advice for beginners. :blob10:

As already mentioned feel free to join CSOG as well if you would like to get out observing with like minded folks. Observing groups are great for practical hands on advice and for trying out different scopes. :o

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Archived