SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EBAY : 1mw Green Laser Pen Visible Green beam UK star gazing

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blue or green light scatters much more off the molecules in the air than red does so you see the beam. Not sure whether 1mw would be bright enough to give a good beam though.

Robin

Where will you be using it in a built up area or only when you are away from the general public, i would like one but i cant find exaclty the law regarding the use of these items ?

just got that exact one off ebay 2 days ago, donn`t buy it off that chap mind i paid £4.99 with free delivery, tryed it last night, you can point to individual stars and the beem is clearly visable even with the bad light polution at my place (5m from street lamp), i was using it to get approx alighment of my skywatcher dob before using spotter scope, works a treat.

I have a 5mw I purchased from the bay, think it was 8 quid it works real good and will point at any object nicely, it also keeps the dogs happy, but as said above it destroys battery's for fun.

There are no laws relating to owning and using a laser specifically. There are restrictions on importing and selling them but not owning them.

Acceptable use is covered by existing laws. Its a bit like carrying a calving knife down the high street.

5mw should be fine for pointing out stars. Just use it sensibility.

You might want to check out Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Worldwide Free Shipping - DealExtreme - it's my favorite site for gadgetry of all sorts :-) They have a *lot* of lasers in all colors and their pricing includes shipping. (which can take some time though). It's not all super duper quality, but I never had any issues with anything ordered so far (except LED bulbs!).

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated to the above site, just someone who bought a lot of stuff there (ask my wife, she'll confirm... :D)

From my understanding of the law on green lasers, TerryM is correct - there are no laws on owning and using lasers per se in the UK, however there is a very specific law against shining lasers at aircraft, whether deliberately or unintentionally, and prosecutions in the UK and abroad are becoming increasingly common.

The problem isn't one of "blinding" pilots, it's distraction and temporary loss of night vision in a darkened cockpit environment, particularly during the critical approach/landing phase. Pilots are plagued by such "beaming" attacks and the aviation community has a real downer on green lasers at the moment (expect a tightening on legislation regarding import & sales before too long as a result). While most prosecutions appear to be of hooligans and idiots, accidental beaming is not a valid excuse against prosecution since the impact of the incident is potentially the same.

Consequently, many airlines have it written into their standard operating procedures that any incident of laser beaming MUST be reported to ATC, and under such circumstances ATC will invariably pass the complaint to the local police force, who will feel obliged to follow up.

Even a 5mW green laser (which is the legal maximum for public use in the U.S.A.) can send a distracting beam 7,000 ft into the air, so you need to be aware of the potential risk if you live anywhere near airport approach flight paths or have frequent low level general aviation aircraft and helicopters in the vicinity. Forewarned is forearmed.

There are plenty of threads on laser pointer use here on SGL which are worth searching, however the advice on this thread so far seems reasonable to me (i.e. stick to 5mW max. and BE CAREFUL around airports & aircraft - preferably don't use at all if there's any such risk).

Rgds,

Alan

I am not far from blackpool airport but not on the approach route which is over the sea, i am wondering now if its a good idea. I think as a last check i will call in my local cop shop and get there advice.

as the guys comment on the youtube video says "lucky it wasn't a stinger:)" I imagine [ and I could be wrong] but an accidental sight scope lazer hit on an aircraft when using a telescope would maybe be a talk from local police [if they could find you] I think the deliberate targeting of planes/vehicles by stupid kids/adults should lead to immediate frontal labotomies of them and there whole family [nah only kidding life imprisonment :)]

What do you mean Hemi?

I'm after one of these laser pens too, so I can point stuff out to the old man instead of shouting 'that flipping ONE thereeeeeee, just LOOK where my finger is pointing to fgs'. But I'm close to Brize Norton and there's always blumming planes roaring around the house, especially when I'm trying to sleep!

Plus, I've read you can do fancy graffiti with them when you image star trails. Might be fun.

oh not this old chesnut again ........

Yeah, I know what you're saying Hemi, and I thought it over before dipping into yet another green laser thread. But when people start talking about the law and lasers, I think it's worth pointing out that the law is a bit grey in this area for now, except where aircraft are concerned - where it is very clear. I know it's probably not an issue for you in relatively rural Ayrshire, but in more populated areas of the country it definitely is. However I do tend to agree - I think people would be well advised to do a search on SGL before posting a new thread - as we know, the laser topic has been done to death over the last few years.

I bought this one... Item number 290539702693 and its like have a huge green light saber in your hand lol Common sense applies as always with these things, but they are great for pointing out where thongs are to others. £4.80 delivered. They don't like the cold tho so keep them in your pocket when not in use. :)

Archived