SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

EBAY : 1mw Green Laser Pen Visible Green beam UK star gazing

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it says 1mw, but on the laser it says "less than 5mw" so I'm not sure of the actual power, but definitely bright enough. I'm very concious of where and when I point it, but I wouldn't want it any brighter that's for sure! As with many 'dangerous' things, responsibility is the way, not an endless list of legislation that those who don't care will ignore anyway.

Sanmatt, for once i can be pleased... they closed Lyneham and dumped the herc your way. he he he he, sorry but i was glad to see them go, hope they are ok your way. :)

They jolly well are mate! I absolutely love watching them go round, I really do, I just wish there was a night time curfew sometimes!!

I know it says 1mw, but on the laser it says "less than 5mw" so I'm not sure of the actual power, but definitely bright enough. I'm very concious of where and when I point it, but I wouldn't want it any brighter that's for sure! As with many 'dangerous' things, responsibility is the way, not an endless list of legislation that those who don't care will ignore anyway.

That's good enough for me! :)

just seen this thread and thought i should add my £0.02 into the equation.

i bought this one off the 'bay for £5.99 delivered.

its a Class IIIb, 1mW, Green 523nm unit, with a clearly visible beam in darkness. my real reason for posting though is it seems that some here are, maybe, a little less informed than myself. Being a military type and working at RAF Brize Norton, I have day-to-day contact with pilots, the Air Traffic crew as well as the local Thames Valley and RAF police.

As i live within 1mile of the base, i take safety extremely seriously. No more so than when there's aircraft about, and this is very often the case, although between 11pm and 4am the activity is mostly ground based with very few, if any, aircraft in the aerial vicinity. So, to make sure i wasn't breaking any rules, and that i wouldn't go upsetting anybody at the base, I consulted the authorities at the base prior to my purchase and, to help put things into perspective for those under some suspicion that these 1mW or 5mW lasers are 'dangerous' here's what i found...unsurprisingly (to me anyway) they all agreed that anything under 5mW is considered 'safe' if used properly - i.e. not waved about like a loony and/or pointed directly in the eyes.

Now, i'd like to think that all astronomers using lasers are a safe, considerate and conscious bunch who wouldn't go waving lasers about, pointing them in peoples/animals eyes or similar like silly brainless folk....are we???

When using my scope, I always use my 1mW laser mounted on the scope. Now, usually this is for probably, no more than 60-90 seconds at a time for pointing at and lining up my scope on a star, DSO or planet. After that, it's powered off and put away until I move to my next target - this also helps with keeping it warm as I've also found that green lasers hate the cold!

Anyway, to put everything in context, if a minimal powered, meaning the UK legal limit of 1mW, laser is used safely and consciously by astronomers for lining up the scope, the pilots haven't got any issues, the authorities won't confiscate it.

....shall i run and hide from the torrent of abuse yet?? :)

....shall i run and hide from the torrent of abuse yet??

Yes, because you lot wake me up at night! ;P And its defo between 11 and 4.

Though, to be fair, it isnt very often they're flying at those times.

Thanks for posting that Si, I feel happier about buying one now and knowing I'm not going to have a pile of airmen kicking my front door in in temper.

They jolly well are mate! I absolutely love watching them go round, I really do, I just wish there was a night time curfew sometimes!!

there is a curfew, between 11pm and 4am. anything that does not have an urgent / extreme operational requirement (i.e. a medical crash team to bring back the heavily wounded for treatment at Selly Oak hospital) is banned from flights between those hours, although ground running is allowed i believe until around 1am!?

Yes, because you lot wake me up at night! ;P And its defo between 11 and 4.

Though, to be fair, it isnt very often they're flying at those times.

Thanks for posting that Si, I feel happier about buying one now and knowing I'm not going to have a pile of airmen kicking my front door in in temper.

no problems. always happy to help!

As I said, whether its 1mw or 5mw use it sensibility. Before you point it at the sky just make sure its not an aircraft. Hopefully you should be able to tell the difference between a star and a plane. If not, perhaps you shouldn't own one :)

Well this thread lasted a lot longer than i thought it would

As long as the 1mw is good enough in light polluted skies i will pick up one of them i was just worried it would be weak and useless but it seem to be an ok option

Thanks to one and all and sorry to those who have had to read this not for the first time, newbies are such a pain in the **** :)

Cheers

Try this place - great lasers at a cheap price, Laser pointers - I know there's a lot of controversy in astro circles about these but hey -ho

David

There's a lot of controversy over VAT dodging Channel Islands distributors such as this lot too! I wonder if they'll still be in business after April 1st when the Government finally clamps down on such abuse and removes Low Value Consignment Relief on Channel Islands imports? Buyer beware !

C3PO, with respect there's a big difference between the experience at military bases, which tend to be remote from populated areas and with civil aviation where airports for obvious reasons, tend to be surrounded by houses and people. Civil aviation has a significant and growing problem with laser beaming incidents and the industry is exerting a certain amount of pressure on Governments to tighten legislation. I think any amateur astronomer needs to be aware of this whether they are for or against their use.

I would just add that it's actually quite easy to "beam" an aircraft accidentally if you live anywhere near a busy airport (I know, I've done it!). If you're surrounded by houses it's quite difficult to work out what direction an aircraft is coming from by sound alone and if like me, you live in an area where you might have 2 or more aircraft in the vicinity at the same time you can quite simply be unaware of an aircraft's presence until it's too late. I have a 5mW green laser pointer and used to use it a lot; but in my own situation it's too risky and I've retired it for good. If you're lucky enough to live in relatively unpopulated areas then by all means use them, otherwise, be careful!

C3PO, with respect there's a big difference between the experience at military bases, which tend to be remote from populated areas and with civil aviation where airports for obvious reasons, tend to be surrounded by houses and people. Civil aviation has a significant and growing problem with laser beaming incidents and the industry is exerting a certain amount of pressure on Governments to tighten legislation. I think any amateur astronomer needs to be aware of this whether they are for or against their use.

No offence taken, and I certainly agree that they need to have some sort of law or legislation regarding their use. As regards rural areas, Brize is, as I'm sure Sanmatt will agree, is certainly not rural....it is, in fact, next to a small town and within spitting distance of another larger town and many small villages.

I use a 1mw green laser when showing my girlfriend the night sky.

Just used it in the back garden. We have the Sussex Police helicopter just along the road at Shoreham airport and never use it when they fly over.

Can't honestly see the problem with them unless you're stupid enough to point one into the sky when low level aircraft are present.

P.S 1mw is plenty bright enough :)

Archived