Hello!

tinyian

Hi All!

I've recently taken the plunge and invested in a Celestron 130EQ reflector with which I'm slowly learning my way around the night sky. I'm based in Liverpool so light pollution is probably my biggest issue, 2nd only to the realisation that the finderscope which I currently have is pretty much useless (Telrad finder is in the post to me from Germany!)

Highlights for me so far have been seeing cloud bands on Jupiter, and the simply incredible Pleiades. Could really use some advice from other city folk on good objects to look for (as my backyard faces West things currently in that direction would be good), and if anyone has experience of good quality light pollution filters then I would love to hear about them.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Double stars are good targets from light polluted areas. I have the Cambridge Double star atlas which I would recommend. Most of the objects in Turn Left at Orion are also possible.

Andrew

Hi and welcome to the forum. Good call on getting the Telrad - works a lot better and of course you will have control over the brightness of the light. There are also Telrad star maps that you can use that are free to download. The idea here being that you can use the circles on the map to help you gauge the real distances you see through the scope and is especially useful where there are no useful reference stars or noticeable star formations (asterisms) to help you navigate by.

Clear skies

James

Archived