Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just seen a biggish meteor!

Thirdway

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found a picture of it here:

AnGL-pUCIAA6JyM.jpg

Not last night's one (albeit similar by the sounds of reports), this picture is of a fireball seen over the Netherlands in 2009: Netherlands fireball - The Planetary Society Blog | The Planetary Society

If anyone can recall the approx. start and end position of their sighting, it'd be great if you could submit a fireball report to the IMO Fireball Report Form | International Meteor Organization or SPA Society for Popular Astronomy -MeteorSectionMaking and Reporting Fireball Observations ..etc so that data can be collated and a trajectory possibly calculated.

Sadly missed it myself, was outside but I suspect too far East in any case.

Just look at the comments on skys homepage everything from e.t to missiles, every old conspiracy are people just that dumb. Everything has to do with cover ups and aliens why not a rock from space.

Unfortunately I missed it (I was in the pub!). I only found out about it this morning. Glad to see that there are pictures and video, so I don't feel too bad. Would have loved to have see it first hand though!

Just look at the comments on skys homepage everything from e.t to missiles, every old conspiracy are people just that dumb. Everything has to do with cover ups and aliens why not a rock from space.

There was time (long back) when the French threw all their space rocks out of their musuems, because the scientific opinion was that rocks did not fall from the sky!

Sadly I missed last nights show. Scope was set up early evening. Pulled the roof over when the clouds came. Open up again 2300 blissfully ignorant of events!

I saw it too. South of Leicester, we went out after the clouds cleared to look at Jupiter before it set below the horizon. It was a bit washed out by the glare of the moon, so we were a bit disappointed. I saw the meteor coming from the north and grabbed the binoculars because it wasn't obvious what it was to begin with. It passed nearly directly overhead, breaking up into trailing fragments as it passed, yellow/orange in colour. There was no sound at all, which was spooky. It seemed to fizzle out before going below the horizon. Amazing sight, and so lucky to have seen it. We had been staring at the moon through a telescope only moments before and could have missed it completely.

The meteor last night was almost a carbon copy of the old image which has been doing the rounds and is shown above. It was just like that one, long trail, bits flying off but the debris still tracking the main "chunk" and flames of orangey-yellow. I was shell-shocked. My wife thought it was something us astro geeks see all the time. When I explained it all to her, she was well chuffed to have seen it.

Glad so many others saw it. Sorry if I was a little rubbing it in last night for all those that didn't, I was just buzzing with excitement :)

Sorry about saying that was the actual pic when it wasn't. I found it off some persons twitter that said it was. Last night was just like that but I personally saw a deep orange for most of it.

Out of my 300 friends on facebook, 4 of them saw it!

I'm gutted to have missed this!

Had the weekend away with friends and would normally have been out with the telescope, it being a clear Saturday evening.....just my luck....typical!

We've had many good clear dark skies in the Scottish Borders, except the night when something spectacular happens... The one word that springs to mind, is 'typical' :D

Even in a cloudy sky it would be easily seen. It was very bright. More like a jumbo jet on fire while coming into land.

It went nowhere near Redcar. It headed South at a rapid rate of knots. She may have found a meteor, but not the one seen flying over Darlington the other night.

it did as i was cycling home from redcar to middlesbrough when it past over my head near the steel works at dormanstown. that why i've only just joined as that was my first ever meteor sitting! :D

Im so jealous! I was ill in bed and missed it all

I just remebered and this is going to sound very silly. But around about 1979-83 ish, I am dead sure I saw what at the time I described as a huge fireball fill up my entire bedroom window. It would have been winter time, possibly around Christmas or maybe earlier, and we face a side of a house, with no windows on the wall. I didnt have any street lights for a several houses away, and no lights in the garden. I remember being scared witless and hiding under the blankets.

Was I a little girl having a bad dream or was there something that was reported that night. Anyone remember that far back? lmao! (lived in Haifield in Hertfordshire at the time)

Archived