Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

hello from a new nexstar 8se owner

Dazz8se

Hi everyone ive been a long time reader of this forum and have gathered some brilliant advice ..

anyway a few weeks ago i purchased my first proper scope a celestron nexstar 8se due to weather ive only managed to use it a couple of times for a short while before the clouds returned or dew set in (dew strips,dew sheild and controller ordered )

so far i managed to view M42 what an amazing sight and i found the crab nebula it was very faint no detail but you could tell it was there im hoping the Oiii filter ive ordered will help ..hence my obsession with DSO,s hope to bag many more in time :D

anyway just wanted to introduce myself and say hello :(

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to SGL....

Question for you.........Your scope, how portable do you conside this?...is it a back door to garden type scope or would you consider sticking it in the car and travelling with it? I've got a permanent setup, but I'm looking for something to take on holidays etc. and wondered if an 8se may fit the bill..

Hi and welcome to SGL....

Question for you.........Your scope, how portable do you conside this?...is it a back door to garden type scope or would you consider sticking it in the car and travelling with it? I've got a permanent setup, but I'm looking for something to take on holidays etc. and wondered if an 8se may fit the bill..

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :D

@SteveA ive transported in a car to a freinds house for a sort of mini star party no problems at all isnt very heavy and easy to seperate the OTA and fork arm from the tripod basicaly 3 screws and its in two easy to transport parts set up took me about five minutes to get it from the car and set up and ready to align in my friends garden hope this helps with your question :(

Hi, Dazz, and welcome to SGL from another 8SE owner.

[@steve - i used to transport my 6se and would certainly transport the 8se if i still had a car]

Thanks Demonperformer and good to know there are other 8se users with more experiance out there i expect in time i will have many questions for you so ill say sorry in advance :D

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :D

@SteveA ive transported in a car to a freinds house for a sort of mini star party no problems at all isnt very heavy and easy to seperate the OTA and fork arm from the tripod basicaly 3 screws and its in two easy to transport parts set up took me about five minutes to get it from the car and set up and ready to align in my friends garden hope this helps with your question :)

Thanks for that...just gota work out how I'm going to broach the idea of another bit of kit with the wife!!....:(

Hi Dazz and welcome!

I've enjoyed my 8SE on the few nights its been out :D. Beautiful views of Jupiter, the moon and a number of the messiers. Still very much a learner in terms of what it can do, and what combinations of eps and filters to use (just got my Baader neodymium in the post this moring - thanks FLO; looking forward to trying that out tonight).

I haven't ever successfully got it aligned by the three star method yet :(, though that may be down to my limited experience, plus a very limited view of a heavily light-polluted sky where I live.

I find the mount a little less than ideally stable - I might give it a try on my eq5 see if thats better. Not keen on the red dot fnder that came with it - might get a Telrad instead.

I'd certainly take it out though - as Dazz8se says, easy to set-up/take down, and it'll go in my Polo easy enough in the individual boxes it came in.

Thanks for that...just gota work out how I'm going to broach the idea of another bit of kit with the wife!!....:D

well if you find a good way let me know lol im allways trying to think of way to explain how i need that expensive bit of gear to get the best out of my scope the wife usually replies with an hmmm ok then...:(

Hi! I too just bought a Nexstar telescope. Mine is a 6se. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind helping me in regards of this kind of scope. I do admit that I am new to astronomy but always had a huge interest in it.

sincerely

sylvie

Archived