Hi

Eastridge

Just to introduce myself.

Have been vaguely interested in astro all my life as is hubby (who did astro-physics as part of his degree - so understands it all better than i).

I got a Skywatcher 1145 (all manual) for my big 40 and feel now it's time for an upgrade. After reading many posts here and reviews available have just ordered a Skyliner 250 PX from FLO.

Toyed with the 12" 300 but decided the jump from 114 to 250 would be enough and extra money may be better spent on upgrading eyepieces etc.

We view from our patio in Bideford North Devon where viewing is generally OK to the south and north (lights to east and west) and overhead. Bortle map says c. 5 but understand that's just a genrel guide.

One reason for going 10" is that it's more portable if we want to pop to Exmoor (c. 30 mins away) for some darker skies once I get into DSO viewing.

Have to confess hubby does more of the 'setting up' and finding than I do, he being scientifically minded and not suffering from a sort of left / right dslexysia that I have that confuses me no end. I'm hoping the dob way of moving may be more intuiive than knobs on an EQ mount that I always turn the wrong way :)

Sure I will be back with loads of questions once it arrives:)

Sharon.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sharon and welcome to SGL, there will be a world of difference with your new scope, both in size and what you will see, if you do not already posses the book,

invest in a copy of Illustrated guide to Astronomical Wonders, it will give you and your hubby plenty to search for, especially from your dark site, enjoy :)

John.

Hi Sharon and welcome to SGL, there will be a world of difference with your new scope, both in size and what you will see, if you do not already posses the book,

invest in a copy of Illustrated guide to Astronomical Wonders, it will give you and your hubby plenty to search for, especially from your dark site, enjoy :)

John.

Thanks all.

Glowjet - ta, have added to wishlist. If it's half as useful as 'Turn left at Orion' has been it will be well worth it.

Archived