• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just been a newbie looking at Mars myself with a new eye piece set (the revelation set).

It is the only planet available to me at the moment, and even then the light pollution here and my lack of experience made it a less than perfect experience.

I think, James, if I can align a pregnant wife to be willing to sleep in the cold on your sofa bed and a clear night we may pay you a visit! Hell in a fast car and her having an early night I might make it down and back again without her knowing.

Light pollution has little effect on planetary viewing.

It's more down to the steadiness and transparency of the atmosphere which dictates how much detail you can see.

Mars was looking great this evening at 200x magnification before rain stopped play.

Not only was the ice cap visible but also subtle detail seen as dark areas on the disc.

I find a Baader Neodymium filter really helps to boost the contrast and tease out the detail.

I had great views of Mars last night, the best this year in fact. At around 11.30 i was able to push the mag to 300x and at times seen lots of detail. The ice caps were clearly visable. It should be even better in a few weeks time when it reaches opposition.

Mars looked superb tonight,ice cap and dark areas clearly visable.I find a 9mm baader ortho and a baader uv/ir cut filter a good combination.

That was pretty much the view I was getting with my ED120mm refractor. No filter but contrast and detail holding up well at 225x :)

I find quality eyepieces with minimal light scatter (like your Baader GO) and a fully cooled scope are essential to getting the best views of Mars, and the other planets, for that matter.

I was very dissapointed with Mars, It was just an orange blob very small with 150x mag using a 5mm celestron x-cell lx and a LP filter this was about 11pm so should have been high enough in the sky and was just a bigger blob with a 2x barlow making 300x. Didnt even bother getting webcam out to take pics.

Kev.

I agree John,my dob was cooling for 4 hours with the fan on before i even started observing mars.The BGO's are superb for planetry viewing ( ive found them to be better than my hyperion's),and with a good quality filter their something else.I am keen to try the neodynium ( baader ) filter to see how it compares to the uv/ir cut.

Archived