Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another noob

boabsta

Hello, my names Boab and I have recently started to dabble with all things telescope. I'm still not sure if this is just another fad or something I will stick with. Before you make the assumption, I got my 1st scope in november, long before Dr Cox tried to smarm us over. (I'm not a fan. Could you guess?) I haven't read the forums so don't know what the general opinion of the programs is but I thought they were too messy and tried to do too much in too little a time.

Anyhoo, I have found this forum by googleing (?) a few questions and getting reffered here so it seems joining is the polite thing to do.

I currently have a 130 skywatcher md and a celestron 114 nexstar with goto and I still cant get either tripods to work properly. Polar alligning pickles me and the goto seems to have a mind of its own. I am however thinking of selling both to get a decent 8" scope. Hopefully a skywatcher but depends on what the budget will allow. I know a few of you say to avoid ebay but it is by using ebay and gumtree that I have been able to buy and sell my way up to the scopes I have now.

I am also interested in trying astrophotography but again I need to work out the whole equatorial mount setup for tracking 1st. I have a Nikon D90 with both a 18-200 and a 500mm lens and got a few nice shots of the moon so far but would like to try for more deep space in time.

Anyway thats my (ahem) short intro. Im sure I will have a few questions that will seem trivial to most but I am off now to try and find answers that are already on the forums.

Cheers for looking and feel free to say hi back :icon_scratch:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello fellow noob! I'm with you on the whole ambition of upgrading from a 114mm to 8" - aperture fever is what it's called I believe :icon_scratch: sounds like you may have heard this already but you can always buy (and sell) used equipment within the astro-community, a much safer bet than eBay and gumtree. That's certainly where I'll be looking...

Anyhoo, welcome from one newbie to another!

From one forum newbie to another, welcome!

On the Brian Cox subject, personally I like him. I like the way he makes what can sometimes be a very complex subject very simple to understand, even to thick heads like me :icon_scratch:

I'm sure he's responsible for the high rate of interest in the subject too over the last couple of years, which is a good thing and something the astro community should welcome.

Anyway, welcome again, enjoy your stay.

Archived