NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

what do you do when its too dam cloudy

Simon 666

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently took up photography getting myself a cheap DSLR. This way I have something to keep me occupied on those cloudy nights and when we finally get clear spells I can always hook the camera up to the scope and do some basic imaging. Best of both world IMO :)

although another hobby which is weather dependant.... :)

Noooooo! The best shots are those where the normal guy fears to tread! Get out there in the rain and start shooting that wildlife man! Camera not weather proof? Stick it in a plastic bag! Seriously though, I love nature photography, any chance I could have a mosey at your work?

For my `hobbies` - I am a big kid and as such an avid (PC) gamer, I have been since the Commodore 64! Loving myself some Skyrim at the moment - but the longest love affair is with Medieval 2 Total War - been playing that since release many years ago and still prefer it over the most recent offerings, one of my current games has been on the go since April 2010. Sad? Yes. Geeky? Yes.. But I don't care!

Oh, and a bit of photography here and there.

Noooooo! The best shots are those where the normal guy fears to tread! Get out there in the rain and start shooting that wildlife man! Camera not weather proof? Stick it in a plastic bag! Seriously though, I love nature photography, any chance I could have a mosey at your work?

well yes I am not adverse to a bit of poor weather but have less time these days due to starting a family last year.

My kit is weather sealed to a certain extent but does not cope well with torrential rain. :)

A link to my Nature Photography can be found in my signature (the Flickr icon)

As far as astronomy is concerned, I listen to Astronomy Cast and plan on listening to 365 Astronomy podcast, read up on cosmology and general astronomy theory, browse web for information on some celestial objects of interest, keep visiting SGL, check NASA website regularly, think about what to buy for accessory, watch documentaries with astronomical topics, read science-fiction or science-fact books, research on what to observe when it will not be cloudy and keep tweaking my scope all the time, being well aware of the futility of it all :)

Also recently started a family, well, nearly two years ago now, but still takes a lot of time from me which is brilliant.

Once I get a minute for myself it's fiddling with new purchases, right now I'm starting my dark library with my new CCD cooled to minus 20 so that's kinda cool (excuse the pun). Other than that I like to try different PC games, listen to music, watch Spartacus wishing I had the motivation to work out for that Gladiator body, and generally not moving much or going out constantly checking sat and weather reports wondering if I will get a chance to get out for Astronomy. Oh I like fishing, weekends or on the night, that's relaxing.

I've been reprocessing a lot of the astro-images I have taken over the last couple of years, as my abilities in that area are a lot better now than when I started.

Not a bad idea. As imaging software and your skills in using it improve- it could be worth re-visiting some old data?

I go down to the local Taverna for a couple and listen to all the horror stories emerging from the crisis that Greece is in. Other than that I build model ships which has been a passion of mine for almost 40 years.

I've got some solar film on order, so making a filter will be next cloudy night project. I've seen a guide somewhere around here I think.

Aside from that i'm listening to Pulp Physics: Astronomy (audiobook I found). Ten hours of a guy talking about astronomy through the ages, which i'm finding fairly interesting.

My most frequent cloudy night activity though has to be checking out of the window every 15 mins in the hope that the clouds have suddenly disappeared.

Archived