73 members have voted

1. 1. Reflector Or Refractor?

• Reflector
    • Refractor
    • Anything

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a refractor kind of guy for the reasons mentioned already.

Mainly pinpoint stars across the full FOV.

As someone who like star clusters especially you just can't beat the views IMO

Next to no cooldown is another factor :icon_scratch:

I actually prefer the eyepiece to be at the bottom end of the tube as I sit to observe :)

I prefer refractors for light polluted skies here in the UK. I have had newtonions, Meade (8") and Celestron (11") SCTs in the past and I found that greater aperture just magnifies the effects of turbulence and light pollution. I know refractors have their limitations but a good triplet like the FLT 110 can provide breath takingly sharp and contrasty views of planets and DSOs. I found that a triplet can really punch through the light pollution and seems to me to be less susceptible to atmospheric turbulence...possibly as you are looking through a smaller portion of the atmosphere with the smaller aperture. That's my two-penneth worth, anyway.

I've always been a frac guy, but my 150PL has shown me the best planetary views I've ever seen through any scope. So now I'm undecided.

I've also just bought a small ED scope for travelling a wide field views so now I consider that I've got the best of both worlds.

For an only scope, I suppose a 5" APO might do the trick - but by the time a frac gets that big it has pretty much all the same disadvantages as a big reflector.

I voted anything!

Don't get me wrong I am open to using what ever tool is the best.

However with my limited viewing times, weather, light pollution, transport issues and health problems a refractor is more suited to my needs.

Eventually when I move home to better skies and more space a 10 inch Dob will be a bit more reasonable undertaking. :icon_scratch:

Refractor without any question. I'm into visual astronomy, and I live in England. Clear nights are few and far between, and more importantly the weather tends to change very quickly. If I look out and see a cloud break, I can have one my small refractors out of the garage and be sat down using it within five minutes; no hassle. Ant said it all above really.

Cheers

Max

I voted reflector as that is what I use most often, but I have refractors, reflectors and I just got a little mak. Currently building a planetary string newt so my current favourite is reflector. Like all things I am interested in, the different tools are good for different jobs. Its like asking mig vs tig vs gas or defender vs range rover, what I like best changes about 30 times an hour.

Refractor. Quicker cooldown, less prone to temperature problems, easier to maintain, ahrper more contrasty view. Reflectors definately have their place too, and I've nothing "against" them per se, but it was a question of "which do you prefer..." after all.

Ant

agreed :icon_scratch:

I think I'll add my vote for refractors, again for similar reasons mentioned before. Beautiful pin point star images, lovely contrast and wide field capabilities but still with very good planetary performance. In my current circumstances, I just find myself using my refractors far more frequently as they are so quick to set up and need little cooling before starting to use them.

Ultimately my view may balance up a bit when I hopefully get an observatory and would probably have a 10 or 12" newt in there. If I only had one scope though, it would be a 5 or 6" apo :icon_scratch:

Stu

Archived