Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello & Greetings from Lancashire!

Treeden

Hello all. Just thought I'd say hi and introduce myself. I'm Rob from Lancashire. I've been looking up in awe and wondrous amazement at the night sky for as long as I can remember, but I recently decided to go one step further and have just bought myself a pair of binoculars. I've just come back inside after my very first (proper) stargazing session, and my immediate reaction was "Wow, that was great!" :icon_salut:

That great big full moon was always going to be my first port of call, and it didn't disappoint, it was so bright! Next I went round to the front of the house and said hello to Jupiter and two of its moons. I think it was two, but it might only have been one as my hands were shaking a bit with the cold!

Orion's Belt was next and with it the very impressive Sirius and Rigel. I had to come back in for a quick check of Stellarium to find out what that big bright star was at the top of Orion, and I was pleased to discover it was the famous Betelgeuse!

I've had a great first evening of stargazing and have seen so many wonderful things with my new binos, but despite the beautiful full moon, the highlight was that group of stars just below Orion's belt, and north west of Rigel. Please forgive my noob ignorance if I don't know what it is, but it was beautiful to look at! :)

I've been reading this forum for week or two now, and it was through reading the thoughts and opinions of you senior types, that I decided to go for binos first rather than a telescope. "Learn the sky" is the message I picked up here, and I must say it was excellent advice! I'm sure I will get a telescope at some point but for now I'm having a great time with my binos, so thanks for the help and advice!

Glad to be here and looking forward to learning lot's more. ;)

Rob

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum. To help you further learn the sky, have you down loaded the free program Stellarium, you can see it here. Lots of 'toys' to keep you busy when the clouds come and will help you identify the group of stars you saw near Orion. I won't give you the answer cos you've NOW got Stellarium to check it out! :icon_salut::D

Clear skies

James

Hi James. I have got Stellarium thanks, but I'm still getting to grips with it. I can see the word Ori and lots of HIP numbers, but I don't know what it means? It was beautiful to look at though!

Hi Tinker and Jon. Thanks for the welcome. I was lucky tonight, no fog. :-)

Archived