Is it safe?

Just wondering if anybody takes all their kit out and about to a dark spot on their own?

As a newbie I would like to do it but im not sure if it's safe because the kit costs a lot of money. I would like to think I could get some decent viewing from my garden but there is so much light pollution around. I know there is astro society's etc and I went along last week but compared to everyone there I felt like I was in the way and didn't want to bother people because at the end of the day they have not come out with all their kit to help fools like me. So I was wondering if people go out to a dark spot on their own and if so can you set up anywhere or is there legal issues (I know you need to ask land owners ie farmers if you wanted to use their field).

Any help would be great.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You under estimate your astro society me thinks most clubs are more than happy to help fools like you and me. Tbh I'm still learning but if anyone asks me a question about my setup or if they need help and I have the answer the biggest problem they have is shutting me up :-)

I think a lot of people will be more than willing to help you if you ask them. And if your not confident going out by yourself then my advice is don't I'm sure your local club will do observing sessions and/or you can find someone there to go with afterall thats why they joined the club too.

Ask at your club I'm terrible myself if anyone I know even expresses the slightest intrest I'm like come on round take a look lol

I have and had no issues - a dark site tends to be away from anyone anyway...so if you choose your spot right, you shouldn't encounter anyone.

It can be daunting being alone in the dark and night time noises in the middle of nowhere - but equally character building :icon_salut:

You under estimate your astro society me thinks most clubs are more than happy to help fools like you and me. Tbh I'm still learning but if anyone asks me a question about my setup or if they need help and I have the answer the biggest problem they have is shutting me up :-)

I think a lot of people will be more than willing to help you if you ask them. And if your not confident going out by yourself then my advice is don't I'm sure your local club will do observing sessions and/or you can find someone there to go with afterall thats why they joined the club too.

Ask at your club I'm terrible myself if anyone I know even expresses the slightest intrest I'm like come on round take a look lol

I know that everyone is very helpful, they was when I turned up to a meeting but I feel like I'm bothering them to much if that makes sense, I don't want to bother people because they have taken all their kit out and will probably be wanting to do some stargazing.

Hard to say really, there are no guarantees now days. Never took my scope to a dark site yet, but I do intend to in the future. I cant help but think that if I don't I will be missing out on something. Thinking of the Lake District in May, but might just take binoculars. I think most people would ask to have a look, rather than try to steal your scope. But as I say there are no guarantees.

Yes I agree your Local Astronomy society should be a place to find some observing opportunities - however formal the meetings may be (some older societies are quite formal whilst others are very 'chip' in and relaxed). Most societies are very welcoming to new members so if the meeting itself seems very formal, I am sure they have coffee breaks so why not speak to a few members during a break. I can only answer for myself in saying that I would snap up the opportunity to observe alongside other interested astronomers whether a newbie needing help and guidance or a seasoned astronomer with a lifetime of skill and experience to share. Shared observing not only provides increased security and safety; it makes the hobby more fun to share companionship and is how we all learn and increase our knowledge and skills that we can share with others too.

Well due to an overlooking streetlamp, my back garden is completely unfit for observing from. Instead I drive down a country lane just acouple of miles from my village, then turn off onto a single track and pull up at the entrance to a farmer's field.

My car is technically not in their field, but is off the road and I view from there. A couple of cars have passed at 2 a.m. in the morning, perhaps gotten a few odd looks, but nothing more.

My advice is find a country lane, on Google Earth / satellite which has a secondary lane like mine coming off it. The chance of passing traffic is so small it is negligable. It is amazing how many sites like this are around.

Another point - look at how willing people on SGL are go provide you with advice etc... That should give you some idea how willing most of us are to share our knowledge and skills. Most people on this forum belong to some society or other even if it's just one of the SGL social groups.

Alec and 'Space Bat' are right in the main; however observing as a group even just two of you increases the experience and fun of it all. You are more inclined to get stuck in and appreciate the hobby if your not at a site alone spooked or worried about every strange noise in the dark.

I agree, I'm due to visit my local group (Shropshire) on the 18th of this month for the first time. Being a newbie I am hoping for lots of help and suggestions - it is a small part of why you pay your membership fees! If these groups weren't friendly, they wouldn't have much in the way of support! At the end of the day they share a common passion with you, and many like to show how knowledgable they are so everyone wins!

Anyone from the Shropshire group - I am really looking forward to meeting you at the club night.

I find group observing to be a lot of fun. You do get the odd person who goes out with an objective and keep themselves to themselves. But mostly I've found people friendly and helpful and your knowledge really revs up with more experienced folks around. Plus you get the benefit of a darker site than your own back yard. I totally recommend it :icon_salut:

hi from me ,some times joining a group of friends what ever the hobby can seem a bit daunting at times ,and your right there is the odd person that likes to be left to it .but most after a few meets become life long friends

joining is a great idea and will increase your knowledge theres no fools either every one starts some were and most people will be willing to help if you came to a meet where i was you could spend hours chatting and looking and most groups and people are the same,like i said there is the odd one that is a bit "keep them selfs to there selfs "

I can understand your concern about taking expensive kit to a remote dark site by yourself.

Hopefully from this thread you might contact others who live closeby so that an observing session can be set up. It is certainly great to work with others looking through different scopes and the various celestrial objects.

With regard to Astro Societies I would hope that members would be approachable. I am responsible in my Astro Society to give technical help on kit and observing. I can guarantee that before and after each meeting I am approached by several members requesting info on one sort or another. Always happy to give opinions whenever I can.

Mark

I tried this a week ago. I went to a dark site, about 2 miles from anywhere with people about. My colleague came along also, but left pretty sharpish because it was cloudy. I said I was going to stick around to see if it cleared. I was sat with the van side door open, dog in the back, cup of coffee in hand, happily looking up waiting for the cloud to clear.

Then I heard something, some kind of russeling. I thought it was just wildlife, but then I absolutely caked myself. Some fella in dark clothes had just appeared out of the tree line about 50 yards away, and seemed to be making a beeline straight for the van. I quickly looked about, looking for a possible explanation, but there was nothing near me, not even an obvious path for him to be walking. I quickly walked around the other side of the van, got in, locked the door, and drove away.

I had a drive around and couldn't find him anywhere after that. It's strange - being alone in a place like that can play mind tricks, but this seemed very fishy. I'd either seen a ghost, or pulled up at a known ******* spot! :)

Needless to say, I won't be trying it again, and I am now eagerly awaiting the next Sunderland Astro get together :icon_salut:

In a world full of madness - don't underestimate the joys of being alone in the wilderness...observing in my garden is OK but you can hear numerous tv's - radio's, neighbour badly playing his guitar, the odd drunk passer by, traffic noise (although not too bad) - the guy 4 houses over screaming at his wife again.....

Alone with a scope in pure peace and quiet in relative wilderness with only the odd noise from distant car or jet overhead - and the wildlife all around.. The odd fox coming past - the snuffling and rustling of god knows what and the owl swooping overhead....you really can't beat it.

I'm from near to st helens, merseyside. Thanks.

i have only been out a few times on my own its good but a bit scary. if your interested a few reccomend denbign moors i could meet you some were and we could drive up together around 35 miles each way so not to bad p.m. me if your interested.

regards mike:D

My club has a dark site on the Essex coast. It's a bit remote so we have a rule that a minimum of 3 persons in 2 vehicles attend.

That gives us safety in numbers, a back up vehicle if one breaks down, one person to fetch help and one to stay if the other is taken ill. Of course we have our mobile phones, but an ambulance may need help to find our location.

I suppose it sounds a bit OTT, and I'm not saying the rules are rigidly enforced.

If you use your loaf, have a decent vehicle, you should be ok on your tod.

Regards, Ed.

Hello :icon_salut:

I presume you popped down to Pex Hill to see the Liverpool Astro group?

I am also a member of this society and can vouch that we find nothing more fun than helping others to progress in this hobby. We all start off somewhere and there is always someone who knows more than you however knowledgeable you think you are :)

If you fancy company on a dark sky trip then let me know via PM as I live Widnes side of St Helens ;)

I always go out alone as my backyard is not good sometimes I only go as far as the local canal sometimes I put the scope on my trailer and cycle 5or 6 miles never been to a truly dark site because I live in birmingham but I am rarely bothered even at the canal. Occasionally a local yoof asks what i'm doing and for a look and a short lesson in what they are looking at but I am never given any hassle.

Go out and do it! You'll be fine. If you find a good dark site there'll be nobody there anyway. Parking areas near populous areas are generally not good because people tend to congregate there. If you don't go out to dark site once in a while then you're not getting the most out of your kit.

If your astro soc is in a light polluted area you'll probably find there are other members who like to get out to dark sites and would welcome company.

I'd mention it to others at the club that you'd like top get out to a dark site and see what offers you get. You'll probably be surprised.

Archived