NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My first journey to a Dark Sky Site!!

trickytree

Hi all

I've had my Skywatcher Heritage Flextube about a year now, and tonight I'm finally getting to take it to a dark sky site in the Peak District.

It's already blumming freezing and I know it's only going to get colder!!

When I use my scope at home, I plonk it on top of a water filled barrel, but obviously I can't lug that to the Peak District - do people even take scopes like that out into the field or are they really for backyards??

Any tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!

Gary

Hi Gary and welcome to SGL, I think you may find a standard camera tripod will be flimsy for your Flexitube, if you have some DIY skills I would look toward constructing some form of stout wooden three leg collapsible table to take the place of you barrel, at about the same height, or if you know someone with a surveyors tripod, that would suit very nicely with some adaption :)

John.

Wasn't as bad as I thought, had plenty of layers on, and hat, scarf and gloves, only snag was I only had trainers on as I have no boots, and my toes started feeling it first, but by then cloud rolled so it worked out ok!!

My mate got some good pics, although he doesn't rate them so they may never see the light of day. :D

Hi and welcome matey!!!

Get some cheap base layers from sports direct under your clothes -- they are cheap at the moment as they are making room for summer stock. I got mega quality gloves for £1.50 as well, and a quilt type jacket for £6

Archived