Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crikey - there's a lot of new members here!

Various

Hi all,

I moved up to a Skyliner 200p Dobsonian last week (a present!) after a few years with the binoculars and a few years with my eyes.

I have spent the last hour or so watching Io's shadow (I think) cross Jupiter and I do believe the great spot came into view (bottom cloud belt, right of image while Io's shadow was in top belt, centre moving to the left) and I actually said "wow" out loud when the image became fantastically sharp for a few seconds.

I'm totally flummoxed by collimation and decided to ignore it until I can recongise a sign that something needs doing - I now suspect that an out-of-focus star looking like a figure of 8 might be that sign.

You lot do make me chuckle - very witty at times!

Matt

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Matt and welcome to the forum. I bet looking through that 200P is a little different from the binos! Yes there has been many people signing up to the forum to get more involved in astronomy which can't be a bad thing - especially if your in astro retail.:D

I wonder what the collective noun is for a group of new astronomers, a 'cluster' or 'nebula' of new astronomers?

Anyhow wishing you clear skies for that new beast of a scope!

James

Hi all,

I moved up to a Skyliner 200p Dobsonian last week (a present!) after a few years with the binoculars and a few years with my eyes.

I have spent the last hour or so watching Io's shadow (I think) cross Jupiter and I do believe the great spot came into view (bottom cloud belt, right of image while Io's shadow was in top belt, centre moving to the left) and I actually said "wow" out loud when the image became fantastically sharp for a few seconds.

I'm totally flummoxed by collimation and decided to ignore it until I can recongise a sign that something needs doing - I now suspect that an out-of-focus star looking like a figure of 8 might be that sign.

You lot do make me chuckle - very witty at times!

Matt

Sure does sound like a collimatiom problem. Check the two site links here to see how to test the collimation and collimate a newtonian.Thierry Legault - The collimation and Collimating a Newtonian

Archived