NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

An old flame...

ollypenrice

Here's one taken over 2 nights in the Tak FSQ85 and used as an imaging course test case with two guests who might prefer the burgling forums not to know who they are!

We shot 14x5 mins per colour, 20x5 mins luminance and about 1.5 hours of Ha. A bit more Ha would have been nice but all this was at F3.9 so it has been fairly stretchable. It's a good imaging test case because of the Ha blending to be done and the control of Alnitak and Alnilam, those rampant scallywags. So, like it's neighbour M42, it may be an old favourite target but it isn't a straightforward one. Most processing was in Ps because that's what the guests will be using but we did use SCNR on the green channel in PI.

Cheers,

Olly

Full size; http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Photography/Widefield-images-including/9131296_5rG2Jq#!i=1686236606&k=GSSmz34&lb=1&s=O

HH-NEB-328-7-HRS-WEB-sat-XL.jpg

I think I need a telescope just to see the bar you constantly raise olly!

A beautiful shot of my most loved DSO.....and im still yet to captue it myself :)

This nebula is so intricate and almost looks designed! Im never sure what is more wonderful...its amazing juxtaposition with the stars and flame or the fact we see a horse in there, not to mention the unique shade of scarlet.

stunning image. your stuff always looks so 'translucent'. I think I mean they look 'real' rather than 'processed'? am I talking gibberish?

No - I would have said the same thing.

Olly - you've surpassed yourself with these astro images taken with the new setup you have submitted in the last week or so.

Olly there is a bit of stripy green in the upper left hand corner, any ideas why?

Yes Earl, I know exactly why; I'm a dozy old gimmer and used the wrong background layer. I'd removed those greens once!! You can't get the staff. Thanks for your vigilance and I dedicate the top left hand side of this one to you! :)

Cheers,

Olly

PS regarding star control, we took no short exposures. Instead we did a full stretch which blew the three brightest stars then did a partial stretch of the RGB only image and put that in a lower layer. Then we just used a soft eraser in diminishing sizes, gradually letting the bottom layer through.

HH-NEB-328-7-HRS-ADOBE-srgb-XL.jpg

Archived