Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

split_city

Members
  • Content Count

    145
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

30 Excellent

About split_city

  • Rank
    Star Forming
  1. Thanks everyone for their comments
  2. Some nice details. I've always wondered if it's worth the bother using a HA filter with a dslr. It's a bit of a 50/50 split from my reading.
  3. I spent the last two weeks collecting Running Man data. Despite being summer, evening temps haven't been too bad, mostly below 20 degrees Celsius. Gully winds also haven't been as strong this year compared to the last couple of years. Details Imaged over 6 nights from my backyard in Adelaide, Australia Scope: GSO RC8 imaging at 1624mm Mount: EQ6 Guide scope: 60mm f/11 tasco refractor Guide camera: unmodded toucam Guiding software: PhD Imaging camera: Modded Canon 30D Camera settings: 21 x 10min exposures @ ISO1600 and 69 x 5min exposures @ ISO1600 giving approximately 9hrs of data. It was the first time I have pushed subs out to 10mins using the scope. Most subs had round stars so was happy with that. Stacked in DSS and processed in CS3. I used a greyscale version of the RGB image as a synthetic luminance image. Image here (2.5MB) http://www.flickr.com/photos/47268787@N05/8480578420/sizes/l/in/photostream/ Comments/tips welcome Dan
  4. Hey, we Aussies might be a little different but can generally get our orientation right lol
  5. Thanks everyone. Peter: Both the green and blue channels were fairly even but the blue had slightly less noise so I went with that. I normally use a grayscale version of my RGB image as a syntehtic luminance image but have only recently started to pick the best colour channel and use this as a synthetic luminance. Sometimes I mask through other channels if objects look better in a different channel.
  6. With the moon and cloud around, I went over some old M83 data and came up with my latest attempt. I can't remember how many hours of data I collected, but i think this is around 6 hrs (10min subs @ ISO800). Details Scope: 8" Newt Mount: EQ6 Imaging camera: unmodded Canon 400D Guide scope: 60mm f/11 Tasco refractor Guide camera: unmodded Toucam Guiding done by PhD Lights, darks and flats stacked using DSS. Processing done in CS3. I used the blue channel as a synthetic luminance image. Link to image (2MB)
  7. haha, you posted that before I did. Now I won't be able to edit my last post!
  8. I understand Sland. I updated the original picture on Flickr but I can't update the link in the opening post because of restrictions set by admin to be able to edit posts. I think one has to have made 200 posts (or something like that) before they are allowed to edit posts. Like I said, very annoying as I think ~200 posts is a bit excessive. But they set the rules. Just go to link in post #8 to see the image. Dan
  9. Thanks Harel. Sland: click the link a few posts up. You can't edit posts unless you have made 200 posts (or something like that). Very annoying!
  10. Thanks Stella. Hmmm, no I haven't tried it. I will have to look into it. Thanks for the tip. I can't edit first post but here's the new link for my image.
  11. Getting some nice detail in there Gina. Looking forward to seeing your completed image.
  12. Thanks Stephen. Stevie: Thanks for the praise. Yep taken over several nights. With two young kids, I can't do all night imaging runs. When I'm out, I try and collect between 1-2hrs of data. Given I don't have a permanent setup, I have to polar align my mount each night. I also have to spend some time framing the image to try and get the object of interest roughly in the same position. I use Deep Sky Stacker to stack my images. I tend to have to crop the outer edges as not all images align.
  13. Details Scope: GSO RC8 Mount: EQ6 Imaging camera: Modded Canon 30D, ~10hrs of data (5min exposures) @ ISO1600 Location: Backyard suburb near Adelaide, Australia). Shot over about 8 nights with temperature ranging from 15-25 degrees Celsius. Lights, darks and flats calibrated in DSS and processing done in CS3. I have done another reprocess. I generally follow Scott Rosen's workflow which involves using a synthetic luminance image made from the grayscale version of the RGB image. However, I read up that one can identify the best colour channel and use this as a synthetic luminance image. Given this region in mainly Ha, the red channel produced the best SNR. I did however layer mask in the Flame region from the grayscale RGB as it looked better than the one in the red channel. I had issues with star halos when blending the synthetic luminance and RGB because of differences in star sizes (smaller in luminance compared to RGB). This is a common issue when blending Ha data with RGB data. However, I followed this which simply involved using a Minimum Filter on the stars in the RGB image before combining the synthetic luminance data. I'm really pleased with the results and think it's an improvement from my previous attempt. Always learning new tricks! Any feedback is more than welcome Link here (2MB)
  14. Olly, the detail in the head is magnificent! I can't wait to see the finished product.
  15. Thanks for the comments . I (and others) believe those doughnuts are internal reflections from using a light pollution filter. I was able to process them out a bit. There was a much larger reflection which I also was able to reduce with some processing.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.