Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing Live!

I enjoyed the episodes so far, however i still feel that they should of shown of what people can actually see through a telescope, especially DSO's, because when they were talking about sky pollution one of people mentioned "my children ask why they can't see things that are in the magazine" when in actual fact it's because it's taken with the hubble or over long exposure time, im not nit picking i just feel they should give the right information to the audience and shown how these images can be captured.

Black holes were right up my street as i love cosmology, when they were is South Africa one the questions asked was why are stars dying i though this was based on "second law of thermodynamics" anything that uses energy the energy cannot be re-used. i.e. when the sun uses all it's hydrogen the sun will eventually die as the energy cannot be reused, and as all stars do this it becomes a higher rate of entropy this will cause a heat death.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's live telly and he's a nerdy guy. I'm sure I can let a few nervous ticks pass by.

It's a language thing, nothing to do with nerves and if you listen to and watch lots of radio/TV science you'll find it's very common and seems to have really taken off over the last year or so. The problem is, once you have noticed it you can't stop and it does become annoying.

In most cases the "so" is surplus to the meaning of the sentence but just appears on the front of many of them.

It's a language thing, nothing to do with nerves and if you listen to and watch lots of radio/TV science you'll find it's very common and seems to have really taken off over the last year or so. The problem is, once you have noticed it you can't stop and it does become annoying.

In most cases the "so" is surplus to the meaning of the sentence but just appears on the front of many of them.

Ten years ago it was "riiiiight".

Can't see why it's worthy of note.

im enjoying the show as most have said would of been good to highlight light pollution and actualy get out there and show the public what there missing, but who noes it might get our local councils interested and dim all the lights. anyway anything to do with astronomy and the universe on tv is better than the soaps. also who was that lad leaning on that 6" sct was he stupid or something lol

I sense "Hawking Radiation" and evaporation of black holes might have been a tad beyond many? I wasn't awfully convinced by the occasional (Brian Cox) "We simply don't know". Even as an experimentalist, I might be a tad more confident in theorists. LOL. But others who *did* seem to know increased in confidence as the discussion progressed and participated more... :D

im really enjoying the shows too. i do think its a bit of a waste of time having those people outside with all that gear and not showing you anything of what they are looking at tho.

im really happy that they highlighted the effects of light pollution. when i go outside of my town you can see is a big dome of orange that really make you understand how bad it really is.

i hope my council was watching.

Looking forward to seeing the programmes myself. We've been far too busy stargazing LIVE with hundreds of visitors for the past few nights. Last night was amazing, the sky cleared just as the first couple arrived and clouded over just after the last couple left. 3 clear nights out of 3, good old BBC! :D

I liked Brians jacket. Very Star Trekkian.

Yes, so did my wife though mainly because she's got a thing about the colour purple at the moment and the current fashions do tend to support that...or so i'm told :D

Another good show,but though i did enjoy the discussion on black holes it lost my wife and by the look on some of the peoples faces especially the kiddies them too.

I'm enjoying these shows far more than I did last year. I think it might have something to do with wossy not being in it. I did however miss half of last nights episode as I were thinking it started at half 8 like Mondays episode rather than 8:00. I'll just download it off I player & catch up with it later. I do agree it would be nicer to see what the folk outside were looking at more. Plus a few more hints & tips for us novices too.......:D

Hi all,

I'm also one of the no doubt many who turned off after 1 episode last year... actually before the first one finished. Only watched Mondays 2 programs so far due to time and thought it was a lot better. Even catered for the sea angler explaining tides :D. Didn't take too long over it but would rather have had that time spent on "live action" of the sky. Anyone know what beach the segment was filmed on ?

Bird.

didn't see monday's as i was out with the scope and the modded 20d. clear skies = chance not to be missed. got it sky+'d though so will watch later.

saw last nights - thin clouds made imaging jupiter a bit difficult. the thin turned into thicker clouds, so called it a day 30 mins before SGL was about to start.

tuesday's show - it was a really good programme, but the adherence to the script when they had clear skies seemed like an opportunity wasted. as lots of others have said, if they'd shown a bit more live star gazing - showing what you can expect to see with your own eyes - then it would've added to the programme. it almost seems that the plan revolved around the skies being totally cloudy and the chances of seeing anything would be zero. that said, i still really enjoyed it, and there's people at work asking, so the exposure to the general public is hugely welcomed. loved it when BC told the moon hoaxers to go forth and multiply!

if the weather tonight is anything like it is in cardiff at the mo, then going by the script will be fine :D

Archived