Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stargazing Live!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally thought the show was as most have agreed, better than last years. I especially liked the after show chat show as my Jupiter image was on the board even though it didn't get a close up :D

Any show/media especially at that time of night on TV about this hobby is great to see. It actually gave me the kick up the butt to get out there when I watched last years shows and would have never thought that within 12 months something I took a picture of, from my own light polluted back garden site would feature (only very briefly!) on this years show.

I'm sure there will be more people just like I was last year that will get inspired to actually go outside and be amazed with what can be seen. I look forward to the next two nights broadcasts and also look forward to welcoming a lot more inspired budding amatuers off the back of this show to this forum in the coming weeks.

Enjoyed the show immensely my wife and i did (hmm going to have to cut down on watching Star Wars on bluray haha!) had fun playing spot and name the telescope though was somewhat surprised to see the guy using a 8se as a armrest in the second part, dont think i'd be particulary happy if it were mine, as well as name the stars,planets etc before the presenters did. Over all big improvement on last year though we too thought more time should have been spent outside, just a side thought surely it could'nt have been too difficult to have transmitted Eugene Cernan a sattelite video feed so he could enjoy the show, the guy seemed genuinely disappointed he could not see it.

Looking forward to tonite though the weather maybe a problem :D

Thought the program was really well done and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I spotted images by Nick Howes (NickH) and Kevin Wilson (photosbykev) and wondered if any other members, apart from KE400, had their pics shown...

I haven't watched the show yet (good old Sky +) but if our attendance at our local Stargazing Live event last night was anything to go by this is going to be a HELL of a boost for astronomy... we had almost 300 people turn up and que quietly and patiently to look through the eight or so telescopes set up whilst I entertained them with the "Oh damn, all my power packs and my car battery are dying which one do I plug in or unplug now" dance :-)

I hope no one is planning to buy any equipment in the next month, Synta are probably going to have an answerphone full of "We need more, how fast can you make 1000 more Mak127's?!" messages when they get back off Chinese new year :-)

It's all got to be good.... though if everyone's right, I agree they should have taken advantage of last nights clear weather.... the forecast for the last three days at least has been that Monday would be the only clear night out of all three.

Unless they filmed a load last night and will throw it in over the next two nights to make up for the cloudy skies?

Ben

I think they should have done much more on the basics, to build up intrest. More of whats there now, what you can see Live such as Moon, Planets, Nebula, Clusters, doubles etc etc. using those scopes when they where live outside. The more technical staff could have gone to the last programme. I think exploding stars, Dwarfs and far off Planet surging was a step to far for day one.

Oh, and get rid of the comedian as well.

I thought it was great! - get more people into astronomy, more dark sky sites, sell more equipment which will up competition and drive down prices!

I liked the shows layout. Simple, to the point and easy going. With the occasional sprinkling of a natural phenomena explanation for the more indulgent viewer.

Wouldn't mind a go on the SALT scope either! :D

Well I have to say I was impressed. My main gripe last year was that they did nothing to give newbies an idea of equipment. They've put that right this year, so hats off to them.

With such a wide ranging subject, it's impossible for them to show and include everything about astronomy - that's why the Sky at Night has managed to keep going for so long. I felt that their concentration on the moon last night was excellent and a real taster for anyone looking to get in to the hobby.

My only criticism would be that as they actually had really good clear skies last night, it's a shame they didn't make more use of the live outside broadcast looking at the sky - especially as the weather forecast for the next two programmes won't be as good. eg, as Orion was right behind them, a good slow zoom on to M42 would have been good - I'm sure they had the equipment to do such a shot.

Oh - and as for Dara O'Brien, apart from occasionally annoyingly interupting Prof Cox, he's a good familiar face to present the programme in a human and non "nerdy" way.

I say well done the BBC for giving air time to Astronomy.

I really enjoyed it - i think i have a bit of a man crush going on with the prof!

Did anyone notice - just after they were talking about time travel they switched to the picture board and one of the pictures they put up was dated December 2012 - surprised they didn't notice/comment :D

I went out afterwards and saw the crab nebula for the first time, and re-visited M31, Andromeda and Jupiter :)

I liked the show and agree with some of the above comments regarding a bit more exposure of the live observation that was going on outside - especially with Orion standing so proud in the sky.

As for Dara - nothing wrong with a bit of humour - it will appeal to the majority of the viewers so that can't be bad.

A comedian and a scientist. Huh, what are the BBC thinking!
Much as they've always thought: Scientists have to be comedians... or are innately comedic? But thankfully more science than "Mayan Apocalypse" this time. But maybe that lessened the general appeal. :)

For me (an unrepentant nerd!), the BEST bit was still Mark (who?) - Doing the "outside broadcast" sessions + Excellent factual feature on equipment, buying your own telescope etc. Well done that man. :D

Oh - and as for Dara O'Brien, apart from occasionally annoyingly interupting Prof Cox, he's a good familiar face to present the programme in a human and non "nerdy" way.

This is actually a common feature of live location filming when the programme isn't scripted. What happens is while one person is talking the other is having to react to director prompts on pacing. Springwatch used to have this a lot and they admit to managing to reduce it by using idiot cards help up by the crew.

I thought it was very good and I strongly hope this gets more people interested in astronomy.

I like it how Mr Cox talks about an apocalypse as it will make more people aware that we are very fragile on our planet and at some point in the future we will not extist. We could prolong the time we have left if more people took an interest in it.

Defo better than last year tho for sure, maybe a bit more LIVE Gazeing.

Just watched it, and have to say I am impressed. Didn't see it last year so can't compare. I thought it was quite well put together given the very short amount of time they have, it's only 3 hours over 3 days so there's a lot of information to try and get accross in not enough time. I would love to see a regular program of this type. I know there is the sky at night, but having watched this a few times it is a bit advanced for newbies such as me. A regular "younger" show would be great, say features on setting up scopes, product reviews and the such as well as what's in view this week / month.

The sky at night is great, and has it's deserved place. I just think a more beginer based program would be great, Stargazing Live is good, but in my mind it needs to run for longer than 3 days back to back.

I look forward to tomorrow night's show. And to Betelgeuse exploding on 21st December :D

James - I had to laugh at that bit as well.

Good first program, but remembering what it's like knowing nothing, I think a bit longer could be spent on the complete beginner.

Also the images shown, these were done with basics - I think not !!

Archived