NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Signing in from Gloucestershire

bunjiweb

I've been doing a bit of astronomy on and off for the last year or so with a borrowed telescope.

It was a huge surprise to receive a brand new 'scope of my own on Christmas day from my exceedingly generous parents (I think they felt sorry for me as my sister has a new baby which is being hugely spoilt!)

It's a Skywatcher 130EQ2 with motor drive (which I still haven't quite sussed out aligning properly to use it).

It came with a 25 & 10mm lens as well as a 2x barlow.

I have just purchased myself a 3.6mm lens and 5x barlow so that I have plenty of options, although I appreciate trying to use a 5x barlow makes focusing all the more difficult.

I've also just purchased a camera mount to try and get myself some pictures through the viewfinder but so far it's been a bit of a struggle getting it aligned and set up correctly - I can see myself getting a CCD at some point!

Anyway, Look forward to learning much more on these forums and hello to anyone from my area down in the 'shire!

Ben

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello and welcome to the forum! :icon_scratch: I think 5x barlow is a bit too big for your telescope. :D

I think you are probably right, although I've done some terrestrial checks today and I am able to get it focused using the 25mm and 10mm lens, the 3.6mm is impossible to focus though, so that will have to just go with the 2x barlow.

Have just been reading up about the LifeCam HD mod which I think will be my next step - Only problem is I don't have a laptop to plug it in to - Gunna need a long USB cable to plug it in to my desktop PC, or work out if I can get it to record directly to my Asus Android Tablet.

Thanks for the welcome :(

Ben

Welcome :icon_scratch:

I'm going to sound like a right misery here, but this is meant to help, not criticise :D

The 5x is too much magnification, it's more an imaging tool : send it back if you can.

The 3.6mm gives you 250x magnification, I doubt the 130 can manage that even on the best of nights : send it back if you can.

Just my 2p, welcome again :(

Thanks again for the welcome!

Kh3ldar - the 3.6mm lens works well, but I fear you are probably right about the 5x barlow - I will contact 365astronomy where I got it from and see if I can return it.

Regards,

Ben

hi and welcome from me as well. when you say the 3.6 works well i take it you mean in daytime, sorry but it wont work like that at night:)

Wow! Someone else has almost exactly what I got given for Christmas -

Skywatcher 130 without drive, and no Barlow, but they also gave me a x5 Barlow and 2.5(?)mm. I don't have the option of returning anything and I've already been told the two extra EPs are OTT for my scope.

I've managed to do two observing sessions so far and I defintely need that 2X Barlow.

Hi Ben and Welcome.

Gloucestershire is the home of my first computer. I bought a kit (Micro Box II) from a company called Micro Concepts who were located in Gloucestershire that was back in the good old days (1984).

Archived