New Year New Hobby :-)

Venusia

:p Hello and Happy New Year !!:icon_salut:

To see the new year in we decided to star gaze with some champagne. My husband downloaded 'stellarium' and we took it with us. AMAZING - even saw a shooting star (beginners luck right? ;-)). Now were both hooked and want a telescope :confused:

So what to get.. Orion seems really highly rated? Pieces to add to it? What books to get? Are there any events going on in 2012? Any websites worth looking at?

Many Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Well this forums is a great place to start.

I would suggest purchasing a good pair of binoculars and learn the sky, whilst you gain more knowledge on the subject and the different types of telescopes on the market.

Dont rush into buying a scope-could prove to be costly.

JM

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the hobby!

I also recommend getting a good set of binoculars to learn the sky. You'll probably be surprised how much you can actually see with bins. If you get hooked then you could look at getting a telescope. A Dobsonian usually suits most beginners as they're simple to use and relatively cheap.

One thing to be wary of is cheap telescopes from shops like Argos. Avoid them like the plague!

Sent using Tapatalk

hi and welcome to you both ,bot orion and skywatcher make good scopes take a bit of time to choose plenty of star partys in 2012 where you may get a look at a few scopes and you may get a better, idea what scopes do what,and how go get one today if you really want one but ask around on sgl 1st to give you some idea what is,and what is not

have a great 2012

Thanks everyone for the huge welcome!!

We're not in the UK, - Italy. I do have a good pair of binoculars, so will start off wth them, and hopefully a trip to an Observatory :-). Can anyone recommend a decent beginner book? (though I cant help myself and will be window shopping for a telescope too!)

Hi Venusia, welcome to SGL!

For beginners books I really liked Turn Left at Orion and NightWatch. I still take a look at them now and again a couple of years on!

You should see plenty of shooting stars with your new hobby, they are a lot more common than I realised before getting into this hobby, I normally see at least one every session, occasionally a really bright one that makes me jump!

Archived