Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jump from 4.75" to 8"

lw24

Hi all,

I'm soon to be aquiring a larger, 8" Dobsonian (Skywatcher Skyliner 200p), to replace my 4.75" Short-Tube Refractor.

Apart from the size and weight (:D),what sort of a difference will the be, and will it be noticeable?

Clear Skies,

Luke

Shouldn't worry about that too much.

Just don't start by trying to observe high resolution objects.

Set it up, make a brew, then. By the time you've observed a couple of Galaxies it'll be ample cool enough for any Planets you wish to observe.

Regards Steve

As well as all the things these clever people have said above, you will also get beautiful diffraction spikes on bright stars and clusters. Structure in nebulas such as m42 should hopefully take your breath away as well as the shapes of galaxies such as triangulum and andromeda :p

My thread might be of interest:

http://stargazerslounge.com/member-equipment-reviews/140240-skywatcher-skyliner-200p-unboxing-building-some-add-ons.html

I've always found that globular clusters seem to show off a jump in aperture the best. Probably just me but it seems that the difference is more apparent than when looking at other DSO's

Me too.

Globulars look nice in my ED120 but my with 10" newtonian they are starting to look like their photos :p

I think someone mentioned before that they usually go with 5min / inch of aperture. So 40 minutes roughly.

It depends far more on the thickness of the mirror.

My 12" mirror is 2" thick and that can take a long time to settle.

Take a look at:

Telescope Mirror Cooling Calculator

Derek

I've just gone from a 5" Dob to 8" (go-to) SCT

I can only imagine the difference right now because i have not used the 8".

Oh man that would be driving me crazy, it's been crazy wet and cloudy here in the North East.

Am sure all of us on here wish you clear skies soon

Chris

Moving up to an 8 incher.

You will notice brighter globulars sprinkled with faint stars instead of just being nebulous.

The great red spot should be an obvious orange oval during good seeing.

Loads more galaxies.

Archived