Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Turn Left At Orion 4th edition

Just bought the latest edition, but I must say that I think the photos and some of the graphics do seem a little amateurish. You would have maybe expected it with the first edition, but this is the 4th and you would have thought that they would have honed it and ironed out some of the rough edges with each new version. Or perhaps it is just me?

I only got it the other day and have not read it through yet so cannot comment fully until I have read it through, but as first impressions go that is what I think. Everyone on SGL says that it is the beginners bible, so we will wait and see.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got it as well just this week, and I think it's vastly improved, as they've now considered the common beginner's Newtonians as well.

The amateurish graphics you mentioned are in fact expertly drawn sketches, which realistically shows what the eye will see.

So I think it is essential for beginner observer.

They state they are definitely in the visual camp and not interested in astrophotography.

I can heartily recommend this book. Together with Backyard Astronomer's Guide, Chandler's Planisphere, S & T Pocket Atlas, that should last quite a while.

For example I frequently refer back to BAG for eyepieces discussion. Planisphere for getting an orientation on my backyard. And the Atlas to really know what's in my view.

Mine arrived last week. Got to admit I thought there'd be some nice photos.

No-one told me I'd bought a black and white 'scope (MK1 eyeball limitation), so the drawings are good

But the real let down....where's a star map? Surely they should print one in it, just the easily visible ones?

Mine arrived last week. Got to admit I thought there'd be some nice photos.

No-one told me I'd bought a black and white 'scope (MK1 eyeball limitation), so the drawings are good

But the real let down....where's a star map? Surely they should print one in it, just the easily visible ones?

They do have a constellation guide at the beginning of each season. For anything more that's why there are star atlases.

I was underwhelmed by the illustrations in the book but as I've began to understand it clearly shows you what you will see with your eyes with a small telescope, so for beginners you know what to look for when scanning the sky's. If you want pretty Hubble images you've bought the wrong book. For your amateur part time astronomer this is the perfect companion to go with your scope, if you like surprises and to find things yourself Galileo style then don't buy this book.

Just bought the latest edition, but I must say that I think the photos and some of the graphics do seem a little amateurish. You would have maybe expected it with the first edition, but this is the 4th and you would have thought that they would have honed it and ironed out some of the rough edges with each new version. Or perhaps it is just me?

I only got it the other day and have not read it through yet so cannot comment fully until I have read it through, but as first impressions go that is what I think. Everyone on SGL says that it is the beginners bible, so we will wait and see.

when you read it youll understand why the drawings are as they are.

also someone mentions no colour ! again if you read it youll know why.

if you like surprises and to find things yourself Galileo style then don't buy this book.

I disagree. I think if you like to find objects under your own steam then this book is hard to beat. Its up there with the best of them.

Unless you have a Go-To scope that finds things for you with very little imput by yourself....................most people would use a reference book/maps/software.

I have up til now ALWAYS been a star hopper. I love the thrill of the hunt. Its very rewarding when you get on target.

I dont think this book or any other book or chart etc take away from that because there is still a lot of work involved to get on target when using such references.

I guess it all depends on your level of knowledge of the night sky. If you dont know your Polaris from your Pollux then no reference book or chart is going to help you find objects.

Everyone knows Orion. If that is the only constellation you know then that is all you need.

TLAO is a basic "road" map of how to get on target easily. It still takes a bit of work to do it though.

I actually think the illustrations are pretty good. They are a good representation of what you will see under ideal conditions.

Ideal conditions are hard to come by in this game. So take the illustrations with a pinch of salt.

If some are not happy with TL@O , which IMHO is an excellent publication, then step up to a copy of Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders, just plain what you will see with description and actual photo, with an accompanying information on how to find it with guide star map, many interesting targets for you to find in each Constellation, includes all Messier many NGC and others, a guide for all observers from binoculars to small scopes, black and white only :)

If some are not happy with TL@O , which IMHO is an excellent publication, then step up to a copy of Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders, just plain what you will see with description and actual photo, with an accompanying information on how to find it with guide star map, many interesting targets for you to find in each Constellation, includes all Messier many NGC and others, a guide for all observers from binoculars to small scopes, black and white only :D

yep i have this too,its a very good reference. i like the spare areas of paper to write any notes ,dates ect .

as with turn left, they are reference guide books to help find objects plain and simple. there are plenty of books with stunning colour pictures, but thats not the objective with these.

for malc and others who would like more colour in the reference book. my dad bought me a book called "stargazers handbook" by giles sparrow. every page has great glossy colour photos of each object ,as well as where it is located. it wont go into as much detail on star hopping as turn left does, but it is a very nice refernce book,that gets a good balance of information and stunning pictures. theres a super deep field hubble picture ,which can be looked at for hours on its own merrit.

clear skies...

Archived