Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Turn Left At Orion 4th edition

TLAO is a great guide to the night sky and gives true representations of what can be seen at the eyepiece. The objective is to show you where stuff is, how to find it, and how to confirm a sighting by comparing to the drawing. This is invaluable for the beginner to the expert alike.

If you are near an electrical point you can allways plug in your laptop and get a wider picture or a colour close up using Stellarium. But in the field the book is extremely useful if you've no idea what to look for with your new scope :D

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have read all the comments on this thread and can see why some think the graphics are a bit amateurish looking. I am a graphic designer by trade and it is all too easy for us to try and include the most eyecatching and colourful images when compiling a new or updated book to compel customers to buy it, but in my view this is not always a good idea. It can mislead newbies like me and only makes us disappointed when what we see through our telescopes does not meet expectations.

All I can say is that I was really glad I had my copy of TLAO when I first looked at the night sky and personally, I would like to see a copy included with every new telescope.

I wasn't dissing TLAO, mearly giving an opinion on my first impression of it. I am sure that it will become invaluable as time goes on.

stand tall i think tlao is rubbish i hated that book for some reason its not the best book to start with just that every one buys this book forst ,then moves on i prefer phillips sky atlas

lots better

My luck smiles on me with the frock issue, albeit in a double-edged way: on the plus side, my missus likes me to go shopping with her because she values my honesty. On the down side, my missus likes me to go sho... yeah yeah, i'm here all day :D

Back on topic: Turn Left at Orion arrived today and, at first glance, I'm really impressed with it and have no doubt it's going to be a huge help. Clear, precise guidance whenever I need it.

"illustrated guide to astronomical wonders" is another well known often recomended book. its like the next step up from tlao. it also contains no colour pictures at all, again when your outside in the dark these books are great help as refernce guide books, so theres no place for glossy photos.

Got mine for Christmas. Brilliant no frills, just the job when used alongside a Planisphere. Shows how to find stuff and what to expect to see. Like the spiral bound bit, makes it very practical when using outdoors.

Archived