Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What are you looking at night to night

dfronteras

Date 17.12 and 1.3C time 23.33pm just been looking at the Alphard which is the brightest star in the constellation Hydra and 3 times the mass of the Sun also the estimated age of Alphard is 420 million years and sequence to become a giant star.

Mainly looking at Jupiter, the Pleides (spelling?) also known as the 7 sisters and the Orion nebula as they are the easiest things to see in binocs for me and are right out of my bedroom window every night during the autumn / winter months :icon_salut:

I had a quick tour with my small refractor. Initially Jupiter, and spent a bit of time looking at Orion with M42/3, NGC1981 and of course the areas around the main belt and including the star systems of Sigma orionis and the Trapezium.

Then had a look at some other familiar objects like M35 in Gemini and the Double Cluster in Perseus as well as M31, the Andromeda galaxy and the Pleiades.

Then a quick look for a couple of new (to me) open clusters in Auriga and managed to find NGC1644 (only with averted vision) and NGC1582; struggled with a couple of others as I really needed a bit more aperture or a darker sky. Then I remembered that I had never actually looked at M40, the Messier mistake, in Ursa Major. Really just a double star rather than a 'proper' Messier but it's now one I have seen.

Finally, I just noticed that Mars was peeping above the rooftops as I was packing up and had a quick look at that but really too low and small currently for this scope.

Earlier in the year, I thought Saturn was simply beautiful . It is. But Jupiter is more interesting I think, what with changing moons, barges, that elusive GRS , which I have recently managed a few times ! And something I haven't got is a a moon transit with or without shadow . .

Also must say, I love galaxies, their variety and possibilities ....

Bart

Hello, im looking more and more at globular clusters like M13, M15, thats fun.

Sometimes I just take the goto tour in my handcontrol database to see what shows up, thats fun to.

But for some days to come im looking into some beer bottles and lots of warm wine, also fun.

//Ola

Archived