Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi from S-Mid Wales

Captain Caveman

Hi all, just starting to get excited about some stargazing. I always enjoyed seeing the brighter stars when travelling and lying on a beach at night or being up in the mountains but recently bought a great beginners book

The last few weeks I've been looking out of my boy's window with him (age 5+) at bedtime and staring at the moon and Jupiter, which til this month I never realised you could see so easily!

Now we have decided to get him (NOT ME honest!) a scope for Xmas and I'm really excited about spending time with him and getting to know some basic astronomy. I tried to get the Infinity 76 but the UK has gone completely dry of them before Xmas so we have chosen the heritage 76 mini-dob

Tonight we went out just before bedtime when I realised the skies were clear and laid out on the picnic blanket in warm coats and he was amazed at the number of stars and we started to look at some constellations

So I hope that this can be the start of something new and special, and a new way for us to spend time together and potentially the whole family to enjoy in time. We should have plenty of local dark sky sites that I look forward to testing out, and I'll share them with the local group if I find some good ones

Found some really useful info so far here and mind-blowing photography from the more experienced among you

Oh yeh - the name, I use it on sports forums and after registering discovered that someone has the same name but no space! Sorry CaptainCaveman - not intended, but I guess we both loved the same cartoon!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, just got in from another outing, managed to see 3 trails from the meteor shower as well as my first proper constellation spotting with Auriga, Orian, onto Aldebran and really chuffed to get a good look at 7 sisters with a pair of really short (twitchy) bins - far too twitchy too get much from Jupiter so can't wait to try the scope. Quite tempted to get me some large binoculars now!

Very excited to be starting to learn the constellations and able to identify and navigate between them. So much to learn!

Also discovered a new trick - flick the circuit breaker off before going outside the house and triggering the motion sensor!

hi and welcome to the lounge, i brought my"daughter" a 90mm frac on a goto mount and a webcam for her,she is 12 and loves to take it out side,she did a project for school with pics and videos of the moon and Jupiter she took some wide filed shots of constellations,her teacher was so impressed with the videos and pics ,she then was asked to give the same talk to the school in the hall 500 + kids it was her first year at the compressive school

so not only will you see the stars but learning some thing new at the same time,she now wants to no as much as she can about the universe

i hope you all enjoy the scope

Archived