Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aperture Fever. Is there a cure?

Someone on this forum once said

"The best way to deal with a temptation is to yield to it"

The cure for aperture fever, is to buy a even bigger telescope.

There is a 20inch dob on ebay atm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huge-20-Inch-F4-Dobsonian-Telescope-Deep-Sky-Watchers-Delight-/190610470462?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item2c6144f63e#ht_500wt_946

Edited by E621Keith

my cure is 1) financial 2) the door issue and 3) hating ladder observing. as such I feel my current 16" f4 solid tube is perfect. I have used a 22" f5 and although a fantastic scope much too big for my circumstances. if I ever sold everything (literally all my astro stuff) I might be able to afford a 20" truss but I'd sooner have a bit less aperture and my TV eyepieces thanks!

Even if you avoid the Aperture Fever, look out for the following:

- Imaging Syndrome, also called Mount Madness where you will beg borrow or steal for 10,000 upwards dollar mount.

- Lens Disease in the refractor world, where you go for doublet triplet quadruplets

- Widefield Wobble, where the initial TV and the mention 100 degree view will make your skip a beat.

There is no cure for Aperture Fever. Even professionals have to admit that. They build the Keck, VLT, etc, and immediately wonder how much more they might see with even bigger scopes. Same in radio: WSRT < VLA < LOFAR < SKA. It is a never-ending story of wanting to look beyond the next horizon. It might as well be called exploration fever.

I am still happy with my C8, and bought a smaller scope (80mm F/6 triplet) this year as wide-field and potentially imaging scope. I am contemplating what to do about a bigger scope. Go for a trust-tube dob (looking through Olly's 20" was quite a treat), or going for a much more compact C11 (or an Orion UK OMC 300, or perhaps a C14 (see, it's happening again :)).

I'm currently suffering "going out of my mind syndrome" brought on by aperture fever.

I doubt there is any real cure as once one becomes to the aperture they have there will always be a recurrence of wanting more. I decided my methadone would be imaging and this is now starting to look like it has it's own set of pit falls to craving.

It just the nature of the hobby. I have a theory that the seeing has a lot to do with it. There are nights when the seeing and transparency couldn't be better and the time flies by. As the morning sun breaks the horizon and you realize you spent the last 9 hrs observing and you couldn't wish for better kit. A month later you find the skies finally clear and you look to get another amazing nights observing in. Only this time you struggle to make out half the stars in clusters and nebula's just don't seem as bright and after checking collimation for the 5th time you realize that your wife is snug in bed and your freezing your never's off looking at washed out skies. Giving up you go to bed pondering on the fact that your kit stinks and you need that 20" you seen listed in the classifieds.

The trick is don't look through a bigger scope, that way you haven't a clue what your missing. Wish someone would have told me that :)

• Like 1

The trick is don't look through a bigger scope, that way you haven't a clue what your missing. Wish someone would have told me that :)

Or find an observing buddy with a huge scope.:)

That way you get to look regularly and it's free.

Regards Steve

I'm currently suffering "going out of my mind syndrome" brought on by aperture fever.

It just the nature of the hobby. I have a theory that the seeing has a lot to do with it. There are nights when the seeing and transparency couldn't be better and the time flies by. As the morning sun breaks the horizon and you realize you spent the last 9 hrs observing and you couldn't wish for better kit. A month later you find the skies finally clear and you look to get another amazing nights observing in. Only this time you struggle to make out half the stars in clusters and nebula's just don't seem as bright and after checking collimation for the 5th time you realize that your wife is snug in bed and your freezing your never's off looking at washed out skies. Giving up you go to bed pondering on the fact that your kit stinks and you need that 20" you seen listed in the classifieds.

Very true about sky conditions. Even at a dark site if there is alot of moisture in the air DSO's are a nightmare. Aperture comes way behind dark skies and sky conditions. Everything is against us in this country, big scope or not!

Very true about sky conditions. Even at a dark site if there is alot of moisture in the air DSO's are a nightmare. Aperture comes way behind dark skies and sky conditions. Everything is against us in this country, big scope or not!

Which is why, on the rare occasions of good seeing we need big aperture to make the most of it :)