SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC 7217. Resonance ring galaxy in Pegasus with Edge 11 HD

RobH

NGC 7217 in Andromeda is an unbarred resonance ring spiral galaxy.

It'S recently been discovered that a significant number of the stars in the galaxy are counter-rotating, and it also has a large, but very faint circular halo of stars surrounding it. This halo is much too faint to be seen well here though.

The outer ring has most of the H1 gas in it, and is full of new blue stars.

It's quite bright visually at magnitude 10.1, but this is just the core.

It lies at a distance of 50 million light years in Pegasus

I imaged this back in 2009 with my TMB 152 at F8, and could see that there was some interesting structure there that I didn't have the resolution or focal length to capture properly, so this was top of my list of targets for a longer FL scope.

This is 32 x 6 minutes at around F7 with the Edge 11 (astrophysics CCD67 focal reducer) for the luminance. I didn't have time to grab any colour data, so have used my original 2009 image for the colour.

The original image was rescaled using Registar.

Both colour and luminance were shot with an Atik 16HR.

Luminance shot over several nights in November.

Cheers

Rob

robh-albums-rob-hodgkinsons-images-picture14619-ngc7217-nov-2011-lrgb-crop1200.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Tim, it is a real gem isn't it. Small though. This was taken at roughly 2m focal length, and is a crop of the full sized image.

There's a bit of colour noise which would benefit from more colour data, but, like many things, that'll have to wait for another time ;)

Rob

You dont make it easy for yourself Rob....stunning!

I don't like 'easy' Peter ;)

Thanks for the kind words all....I'd been itching to see what detail was lurking in this little beaty at a longer FL. It'd be nice to capture the very faint outer ring, but not sure if my skies are good enough for that!

Cheers

Rob

Beautiful galaxy with excellent structure to the core and no star spikes which is good! There are many galaxies around suited to the longer focal lengths of the C11 HD which I will look forward to seeing.

John.

Beautiful galaxy with excellent structure to the core and no star spikes which is good! There are many galaxies around suited to the longer focal lengths of the C11 HD which I will look forward to seeing.

John.

No John....spikes didn't look right on this one ;):D:D

I'll be stuck with (non artificial) spikes soon though....12 inch RC incoming!!

Cheers

Rob

Archived