Need some advice...

Ok, please don't bombard me with number and letters lol but im asking Santa for a new telescope for Christmas, I'll probly have a budget of about £200 and I need to know what I can get for my money. I really don't know much about telescopes at all so any advice will be appreciated :-)

Xxx

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to bombard you with questions, just picking a scope can be difficult.

Which type do you feel most comfortable with: Reflector or Refractor.

Do you want an Alt/Az type mount or are you happy with an equitorial mount.

Are you budgeting for assessories in the £200 or will you get these afterwards.

You will get told to buy a dob but if these do not suit you then say so. There are positives and negatives to all scopes and especially as a first scope on a budget.

Will go find a few options.

Options:

SW 130P on an EQ2 - £180

SW Evostar 90 on an EQ2 - £150

SW Skymax (Mak) 90 on EQ2 - £155

SW 150P Dob £210

Took all these from the Sherwoods site, they are reasonably close to you. Seems the dob is cheaper elsewhere.

Opticstar do an 80mm refractor for £135, the longer AR80 at f/7.5,, but they do not have a package with a mount. Could be worth asking them if they would do one and get a price.

If you need to cost in accessories then for the reflectors budget for a collimator to keep the scope set up correctly.

for apeture ( which will grab you more light and hence show more in most cases) the 150mm dobsonian would be a good bet. dobsonian is simply a newtonian reflector on a simple mount,so its easy to use (so im told). under £200)

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-150p-dobsonian.html

whats your current set up ?

well a 150p skyliner would blow that out the water . be great for planets ,moon, and clusters . and a fair old spoonfull of d.s.o's too id imagine.

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/telescopes/sky-watcher/newtonianreflectors/explorer130incramotor.html

here is a reflector on an equatorial mount, if youd prefer . under £180 . reputable brand . although the mount looks a little small for a scope of that size.perhaps a more experienced member might advise on that score.

I need something that will give me detail in colour deep space objects would be awsome too,

Thanks for all the advice so far, I'll be making a note of everything and will do some research :-)

Then no doubt I'll be back with a hole heap of questions haha!!

Xxx

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.469601,-2.005163

Don't expect much colour in the objects you observe.

Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, may give you a hint of colour, and some double stars will indicate their temperatures through their colour. Albireo for example.

The human eye, even aided by a scope cannot see colour from objects at such vast distances. Imaging is a different ball game, and the extreme sensitivity of film and CCD sensors will bring out colour, as demonstrated in by the fantastic work by sgl's imaging people.

Your main interest you be to get the largest objective you can afford. Resolution is governed by the diameter of the mirror/lens.

Ron.

Bang for buck you will get more aperture in a Newt then with a a refractor.

For £200 you could get a Skywatcher Heritage 130P and a couple of nice Vixen NPL ep's (i should be on commision from both Skywatcher and Vixen for the number of times i proclaim my love for both).

Contrary to belief you dont need a table to stand this scope on. It can be used very comfortably from a seated position. So many people disregard this scope because they think they need a table to use with it.

In saying this.................the Skyliner 150 would be an even better scope. Looks pretty easy to handle and store.

In defence of refractors..............there are plenty of nice 80-100mm scopes out there and judging by a recent thread on the humble 80mm refractor, there are plenty of fans. i was amazed at how many people like/love/own them.

Alt-Az or EQ setup on a scope of asny kind though really is a personal preference. Only you know what works for you.

Ok, so I'm half asleep after only having 4 hours sleep and I'm finding it hard to take all this in but it seems skywatcher is the make I should go for, I've been told not to bother with anything smaller then 70mm, is that right ? My current scope is only 50mm hence the poor quality,

Thank you for all the replys people!!

Xxxxx

Some 70mm scopes give cracking widefield views, but i think you are right. There isnt much point in going below that.

I would start at 70mm and work up from that in your considerations, be it a refector or refractor.

Even 70mm can be a bit small but they are not sold as high magnification scopes (least not the one i have Celestron Travelscope 70).

It is sold as a "widefield" scope that gives very very nice wide views (if that is your thing).

So..............plenty to think about.

Archived