Skywatcher st80

Frenchy

Hello,

This is my first message. I've just ordered this telescope to start (needed something compact and affordable) and I'd like to know what to expect. I know it's not really powerfull, but what kind of deep sky object will I be able to see?

Another question, I've ordered the tabletop mount version from FLO, do you know if I'll get the blue version or the black one?

Thank you :)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Frenchy and welcome to SGL :)

I've moved this to the welcome thread for you cos you'll get a lot more welcomes that way. It's amazing what can be done with the ST80 - I'll post an imaging link in here for you so you can see what can be done with it. Enjoy the forum :)

Here's the link:

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/164273-horsehead-flame-nebula-st80.html

I love my little ST80 refractor (the old blue version) and although I mainly use it as an autoguider for guiding my imaging telescope I have had some wonderful views of the Milky Way and deep sky objects like the Pleiades star cluster. Incredible value for money.

Hi, welcome to SGL!

You should be able to see the moon in detail that will hopefully stagger you, planets, double stars and some of the large open clusters, and you should also be able to see the Andromeda galaxy M31 and the amazing Orion Nebula, M42, among other things.

I couldn't believe it when I saw a galaxy, M31, though my first, 76mm scope! It looked like a fuzzy blob, not like the photos you see in magazines, but it was astonishing to me that I could see a galaxy with hundreds of billions of stars. :)

Archived