Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Seben Telescope.

Imp_Perfect

I know nothing about these scopes to be honest, but I saw this and thought it may be worthwhile to someone.

I am tempted myself but with Christmas coming up I will have to give it a miss.

The owner has posted information from a catalogue I think, but he admits this at the bottom.

Preloved | seben 1400 space telescope for sale in Denbigh, Denbighshire, UK

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Avoid

I heard Seben scopes uses spherical mirror rather than parabolic, so image quality will be poor. That mount is not a EQ3. A EQ3-2 has a polar scope hole, that Seben mount doesn't.

"Transporting and setting up is more a child?s play and with the catadioptric technology this telescope is sturdy even in outdoors not shaken even by the stormy winds."

I don't know what this supposed means. Catadioptic describe telescope designs that use a combination of mirrors and lenses, such as SCT and Mak. It has nothing to do with Newtonian and even less to do with the mount.

Avoid

"Transporting and setting up is more a child?s play and with the catadioptric technology this telescope is sturdy even in outdoors not shaken even by the stormy winds."

I don't know what this supposed means. Catadioptic describe telescope designs that use a combination of mirrors and lenses, such as SCT and Mak. It has nothing to do with Newtonian and even less to do with the mount.

A newtonion like this being described as catadioptric usually means that the focusser drawtube will have a built in (probably low quality) barlow in order to increase the focal length - this is 1400mm focal length, but the tube isn't long enough to be a standard newtonian of that focal length :)

I think Skywatcher used to have this on one of their very basic models (the Skyhawk 114, not to be confused with the skyhawk1145p which has a parabolic f5 mirror).

Avoid

100% agree:icon_salut:

I'm reminded of a thread a few months ago about Sebens, which descended into a list of the 101 uses of a Seben OTA. Here was my contribution: A strawberry planter.

56035d1302520475-seben-telescopes-seben.jpg

What puzzles me is that, if they are as bad as they appear to be, even though they aren't really any cheaper than Sky-watcher, which makes decent but affordable products, why:

a) haven't they gone bust, or

:) don't they make decent scopes to compare with Sky-watcher? It can't be cost, because if Sky-watcher can do then so should they.

We've had families bring them along to stargazing nights and, with a bit of a tweak here and there, I wouldn't say they are completely worthless. They seem a bit under-mounted if anything.

Obviously not for anyone in-the-know, but still something for a kid to get started with.

The clear 'not winner'. At least the National Geographic (poor) efforts are sold as toys. My sister got one for my youngest a couple of Christmases back and it was hopeless. He much prefers looking through my little 60mm mid-70's Prinz frac or a little pair of bins.

Archived