Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

come on then

bought etx-105 as "last one in shop" from LCE Bristol. £350. got home, no #825 finderscope in the box (rubbish anyway as i understand), holding screws for bracket bent and no pin to fix bracket to hold finderscope present. return to shop - further reduction of £150.00 to make total paid £200.00 for ETX105. purchased Baader Sky Surfer V straight through finder instead as assisted by Simon from Widescreen Centre (thanks Simon).

Autostar supplied was #494 which will not work with 105 and no tripod (sounding worse yet??). was given an ordinary electronic controller by acecameras for free (thanks Mark).

happy with optics though need to check, have two eyepieces 26 meade 4000 SP and Williams Optics Swan 9mm.

Spoke to Steve at FirstLight (and by the way if you are reading thanks for help). i have ordered AC111 Triwedge tripod for £99 as on sale. appreciate ETX105 not fast enough for astrophotography and that i cannot "GOTO" with a GOTO scope, have ordered as was half price and simply want to be positioned higher than frodo when using scope.

question for all is this: - i could probably return the tripod purchased and think i am perfectly able to return the ETX 105 with wrong autostar to LCE. wonder whether, as i have now paid £200 in total and optics ok on ETX105, i should still return the tripod and scope and spend £300 on something else with an equatorial tripod, or whether to simply remove the OTA from the forks and send the tripod back and mount the scope direct onto an eq mount. help, i hope i am not a complete idiot.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you found out that being the last one in stock wasn't the entire reason for it being cheap???

Personally it sounds like a bad lot and I would take it back and start again?

There are lots of kind folk here who will give you very sound advice on choosing a scope (and will help you spend your money! :))

Welcome to SGL.

Bill£ :D

Return it and start again...

You'll eventually want to sell or PX that set up (Everyone does) As it is at the moment it's not really worth a lot.

Return the ETX get a credit from Steve at FLO for the tripod and spend the whole lot on something you'll use without GOTO...From Firstlight Optics.. :)

£350....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=200eq5

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ev120eq5

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dobsky250px

IHO...

I thought about the starliner dob but am worried i will not take it out due to its size. i live in Bristol and find it better to travel out towards Bath for better viewing.

perhaps a Skymax 127 eq3 - anyone got one of these or know what like, i appreciate it is a "best buy" but better to hear it from others.

I have miread the post then :)

Spoke to Steve at FirstLight (and by the way if you are reading thanks for help). i have ordered AC111 Triwedge tripod for £99 as on sale.

Hi mcut.

I have been reading this post very carefully and the only conclusion i can come up with is that

LCE have miss sold you faulty and substandard goods.

Did you buy these goods as a new purchase or a second hand purchase?

Anyway i would take all the said goods back to them and DEMAND a refund!!!

When you have finally got all this mess sorted out i suggest that you give Steve at FLO

a call.

He will advise you as to what is best for you to buy (before you part with any money).

I have never heard the likes of this before and i am shocked at LCE's underhanded and blatant

money grabbing tactics...

This is a real shame and I sincerely hope that this a) has not put you off the hobby and :) think that all retailers act in this manner.

I would return it and don't be afraid to get trading standards involved if they won't. A GOTO that doesn't is an expensive bag of electronic gubbins!!

In the meantime, we can help draw up a shopping list based on your needs/wants (we are good at that!)

Best of luck mcut - keep us informed!

Sorry to hear about this mcut. I started looking for astro telescopes via the photography shop route. London Camera Exchange have a fair degree of knowledge regards birdwatching/terrestrial scopes etc... Theyve been selling them for a few years now. Theyre NOT ASTRONOMY people though, like Jacobs of Leicester! I nearly went the way of a 'no name' reflector from Jacobs, got the impression they didnt know what they were selling & had second thoughts :insects1:

Found out more from the internet & forums like this one :), folks here wont send you wrong. Simon @Widescreen & Ian @ Rother Valley will give good advice, I dont know Steve & FLO but I dont doubt his expertise either.

Enjoy the hobby & this forum & dont be disscouraged by this bad experience, take LCE to task over it.

REGULUS

Simon @Widescreen & Ian @ Rother Valley will give good advice, I dont know Steve & FLO but I dont doubt his expertise either.

I have also heard good things about Ian at Rother Valley Optics Optics - I hope one day to meet him.

I have a Skymax 127,one of my favourites. Light weight, very portable and will fit on most

eq mounts or even a sturdy photo-tripod. Comes with a smart soft carry case with pockets

for eye pieces, finder and diagonal ect. ideal for 'Grab and Go".

Got a good deal from Ace Astonomical, whom you know, so have a word with Mark or Mike,

very helpful people.

Good Luck

This is a sad state of affairs.

I agree that the scope, unless all was explained, is unfit for purpose.

You should demand a full refund.

Welcome to SGL btw :) .

Ant

I can only echo the rest. Refund is due here!!.. Then have a chat (a very long chat) with Steve @ FLO. Lots of good advice on how to part with your cash!. Also have a word with Adam @ David Hinds and decide which way you want to go.

All the best

Rob

Archived