Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

i hate nov 5th

noakesy

lol last year was the same for me glad a did not now as the amount of dead rckets that landed on my garden all that dust and particles in the air can not be good for theglass or mirrors any way,but we had a great night with are fireworks dodge in everybody elses dead rocket stick which seemed to dive bomb are back garden

I am now certain, that in my area, there has not been as much firework activity as there used to be over the past years, especially weeks before the dreaded night, when the local youths delighted in setting off bangers and rockets etc, This may be down to there not being as much money about or some people are deciding that money does have more of a value to other than sending it up in flames :)

I love fireworks.

Went to a great firework display on Friday and another on Saturday. I've also noticed that there is much less random fireworks going off in the weeks before Nov 5th...

If it's only for a few days I cannot see the harm in it :)

Having escaped the worst iniquities (sic!) of "trick or treat" and "bonfire night",

in a previous location, I start to MISS out on this "dangerous" stuff... :headbang:

Shades of Gareth Malone's "Extraordinary School for Boys", James May's "Man Lab" etc. ;)

Unlike my Dad, I'm not making my own "black powder"... homemade (successful!) torch-battery CANNON etc. :)

Fireworks have been very quiet in Wiltshire this year, see the odd one go off apart from this weekend. While I was outside letting the fireworks off I noticed Jupiter sitting high in the sky. Could not really go off and do any astro as we had guests around for the evening and I had drunk too many beers to control my kit properly:D All ways tonight, if it stays clear?

Peter

by 11pm last night there were only a few pop and bangs in the distance. and the sky was crystal clear. 1st time i had seen clear sky (no smoke or fog) on bonfire night since i have been into astronomy. though i only saw one bonfire all night and that was early on. in the bowl of the valley i live i can not normally see the village below us.

one benefit was the fireworks at Caerphilly castle were clear as a bell from the balcony. and i thin, half the village let their fireworks off and then went to Caerphilly for the big display usually over 10000 people attend that one and last night was dry and clear so there would have been more attendees than normal.

It was dreadful where I live, it was like Tripoli or Baghdad.

Smoke was very bad even though I did not see the glare from many fires.

There was however a huge organised affair just about 1 mile away.

Gone for another year now, hopefully it should be banned by next year :)

Its the usual idiots that ruin it though, last year my Sister had a party and a neighbour from around the corner was seen chucking fireworks our way :)

Needless to say he was told in no uncertain terms to stop or face a visit from the police.

The thing is he knew my sister has 1yr old twins and 2 boys 5 & 7!

Just glad he's not my neighbour :)

Got to say I have allways enjoyed November the 5th. Its only once a year and its nice seeing people enjoying themselfs. I also love fireworks. However I must balance that out by saying I would happily tie Santa to a land mine and roast all his little helpers on the bonfire.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk

I've always liked Bonfire night....this year we met up with some friends to watchg the display on Weymouth beach, whilst drinking mulled wine and having a fish and chip supper....wonderful evening :)

I also really like Christmas, but only the traditional 3 days, not the commercial orgy that it's become in recent years.

Rob

+ 1 for liking Guy Fawkes night, as it should rightly be refered to. Since moving to Sussex from the 'burbs of London we only get fireworks on the night instead of all year round. Also +1 on hating the premature money grabbing festival that Christmas has become. Some shops around here were hawking their cheesy goods on the 1st of October, almost 3 months before the big day. If expletives were allowed in this forum there would be a big fat one right here.

Does anyone else feel pangs of guilt when it is clear and you just cannot be bothered to get the kit outside?
I assuaged(?) the guilt, last night, by actually DOING something. The downside was the subsequent "extended warm up time" and (modest) "exhaustion" now. Not quite "never again"... It will be EASIER, next time. But these days, I couldn't do it EVERY night. :)

Wall to wall cloud cover earlier in the evening here so nothing for the fireworks to interrupt.

However I happened to wake up at 2am and look out the window to see Orion standing tall over the back garden so rushed outside for 45 mins with the binoculars exploring a region of the sky I've not had a chance to spend much time with yet. All quiet by then and also pretty dark / clear for a nice change.

Tyr

I'm quite glad it was rubbish weather for once! I noticed 2 spent rockets on the obs roof.....Just glad it wasn't open on the night.

:)

That would be quite funny, you're there thinking you've got a meteor

in view and then.....

Not funny really, obviously;)

Archived