SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

best filters for planets

Nosivad

hello everyone,

A simple question, I hope. When observing Jupiter through my Nexstar 6 SE I clearly see 2 bands but only if I scrunch my eye up a bit as it is very bright. What filters would you recommend to give better contrast and perhaps allow me to see more bands and better detail? I use a 25mm eyepiece but I also have a 15mm and an 8mm. Would the same filter(s) be useful for the moon too?

I've not used coloured filters in a long time. I've found that the Baader Moon & Skyglow filter does a better job as a planetary filter and you only need the one filter.

John

Ditto.

All I use when viewing planets :D

Just been having a quick peek through the 66mm at Jupiter. Quite a nice amount visible, sky seems quite steady tonight. I have tried a 50% neutral density filter and I think it allows me to see a few more details though it does dim it down quite alot. GRS and one barge quite clear along with some detail in the two main belts

Stu

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

I love this place. I was thinking about this exact question, and if I'm thinking it, someone else usually has before. Google the question, follow the link to SGL. Simple. Saves clogging up the boards with repeat questions.

For jupiter, there is a new filter called a televue planetary that might show promise.

I would use the highest power eyepiece that is comfortable for you. Then sit and watch for a good ten minutes.

Personally, I need filters to make the detail obvious. I prefer a yellow-green #11 lately, though I used to use the orange #21 more often. IME, modest scopes need filters with a high transmission rate. I recently read an article that recommended the following formula as it works out for my 4" scope(similar aperture to yours.)

Aperture (in mm) = 0.02 times (%transmission - 100)squared

I don't use filters on the planets. I find allowing my eye to adjust (as Micheal suggests) and observing for some time and as often as possible allows me to gradually resolve the finer details.

When you 1st view Jupiter, often you only see the most distinct features initially. It's when you study it for some time that the less distinct bands, whirls, spots, barges and festoons are glimpsed.

hello everyone,

A simple question, I hope. When observing Jupiter through my Nexstar 6 SE I clearly see 2 bands but only if I scrunch my eye up a bit as it is very bright. What filters would you recommend to give better contrast and perhaps allow me to see more bands and better detail? I use a 25mm eyepiece but I also have a 15mm and an 8mm. Would the same filter(s) be useful for the moon too?

Hello there,

Here is a couple of links to relevant material on filters for planetary viewing;

http://alpo-astronomy.org/mars/articles/FILTERS1.HTM

and a more general discussion here:

http://neilenglish.net/taking-back-visual-astronomy-filters-ii/#comment-34265

Hope these help,

Best wishes,

Neil.

Archived