hi

Nigel Bleach

hi, i'm new around here, just borrowed a telescope from brother (he broke one of the legs), got it fix, Vivator 70mm dia.

have been able to follow Saturn and rings plus 3 of it's moons.

then more recently trying Jupiter and was surprised to see it had 4 moons and they were all lined up. !!! Upon further internet checking Juptier has 63 moons of which 4 of then a about the size of our moon give or take a bit in size..

now only last month with using the software "Stellarium" i was able to track down my first galaxy, "andromeda" through the telescope - yes its a smudge, i then tried aligning my digital camera on a seperate tripod, and 4 zoom to get location with 60sec picture to get location and tracking (panasonic lumix fz-8), then zoom in abit more and i got a very amateur photo of the andromeda galaxy, 30 sec explosure (alright its a smugde with some stars around). now re-checking Stellarium , I got it , and the star around match picture taken.. my first galaxy class photo. yeppie

maybe i'll post it later.

i would really like to get into astrophotography, but thats expensive.. maybe in the near near future....

regards

Nigel

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Nigel and welcome to the forum.

Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) would be a great start in doing some research about imaging in order to understand all that is involved. Widefield imaging as you have already been doing is fairly straight forward leaving a webcam for the moon and planets. It's imaging deep sky objects (DSO's) where all the fun and frustration starts and the focus of this entire activity is not so much with the camera but the mount. Imaging of this type requires some investment and good results don't come cheap but you won't have to sell your children to participate, although I think FLO will accept them as a deposit! :) Getting hold of the book above will help you enormously and will sustain your interest when the clouds come in (...not if but certainly when :))

Clear skies in the meantime

James

hi and welcome, 30 secs on a tripod is fine try take in 5 or 10 30 sec pics and stack them in deep sky stacker you might be surprised,a see some one suggested make every photon count this might be a waste of money with the kit you have and you already getting pics of a tripod i made the mistake of getting the book ,no disrespect to the guy who wrote it its well written but big bucks are needed to get the pictures

Archived