Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aoraki's build

Aoraki

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good- hoping to get more finishing work done on my obsy over the Xmas break.

You'll definately need the 'anti lift' devices. I came home after a storm to find my roof 2" off the rails one day- and my roof is held down with six 5mm steel cables- must have been pretty windy up there........

This is in the last throws now and it has and is a pleasure to follow.

No... this is the end of the first chapter.... we've got all those images of the fitting out of the warm room to come :)

Given the quality of the build, it will be Axminster carpet on the floor, £150 a roll wallpaper on the walls, several 28" monitors for the computer, and a state of the art 7.1 surround sound audio to bellow out those magic words "slew complete" at 3 am in the morning :(:p

No... this is the end of the first chapter.... we've got all those images of the fitting out of the warm room to come :)

Given the quality of the build, it will be Axminster carpet on the floor, £150 a roll wallpaper on the walls, several 28" monitors for the computer, and a state of the art 7.1 surround sound audio to bellow out those magic words "slew complete" at 3 am in the morning :p:icon_scratch:

Now, where is that "Like" button ... :(

24th & 26 Dec 2011

Had a couple of resonable working days on the shed.

Items achieved are as follows:

Fitted hardware to bi-fold door and installed to frame between rooms.

IMAG0434.jpg

And got it primed (but apparently not in this picture :D).

IMAG0435.jpg

After I had fitted the white light bulk heads, it became apparent that the red light bulk heads were of a much better quality. So the only thing for it was the change the white light bulk heads for some that matched the reds, as you can see, looks a whole lot better now!

IMAG0437.jpg

Also swapped bulkheads in the scope room at the same time. (photo's a bit dark, pehaps I should have put a light on!)

IMAG0438.jpg

The strange thing with these bulk heads is that they are from the same supplier, made by the same manufacturer, have identical aluminium bases and covers (albeit two clear and two red), the reds use ES bulbs and the clear BC bulbs!

I also cut to size some work top and installed that in the warm room.

IMAG0441.jpg

After threading one USB cable down the conduit on the pier, I though it would be very tight to thread another if I needed to, so I have exchanged the 20mm for 25mm conduit. I don't know if I ever will need to add more USB's, but at least it should be easy now.

IMAG0443.jpg

Also a bit of sealing around a couple of suspect areas, should be rain proof now hopefully.

This evening, I am going to see if I can install the required software to control the mount, software for the Meade DSI and software for the CoStar.... wish me luck!

Gradually coming along :) Like mine :D

A square section pier makes things easier :) I'm putting my USB hub (and EQDIR box) on the mount - reduced the number of cables that need to coil and uncoil as the mount moves. Have some sticky Velcro on order. Also, zip-up cable tie.

28th Dec 2011

Well, after stating how good the white bulk heads were (post #197, 3rd photo), I have to confess they are not as good as first thought, at least not when fitted to the ceiling with a low energy bulb fitted as I have.

The problem is that the bulb is to heavy to be supported by the ceramic holder and the quite feable contacts. This resulted in the lamp not lighting without having to tap the bulk head numerous times and flickering and even going out when the door was opened or shut! This is not a problem with the scope room as they are not mounted horizontally and the bulb "hangs" with no problem.

So thanks to Maplin's, I purchased a ES fitting and swapped it with the BC fitting (it now matches the red bulk heads).

This is the BC fitting removed from bulk head -

IMAG0445.jpg

And this is the ES fitted to the mounting bracket ready to be installed in the bulk head.

IMAG0446.jpg

A much better, reliable contact is now achieved and a light that stays lit! It's a pity that they don't come with the screw fitting as standard as per the red bulk heads.

28th Dec 2011

Well, after stating how good the white bulk heads were (post #197, 3rd photo), I have to confess they are not as good as first thought, at least not when fitted to the ceiling with a low energy bulb fitted as I have.

The problem is that the bulb is to heavy to be supported by the ceramic holder and the quite feable contacts. This resulted in the lamp not lighting without having to tap the bulk head numerous times and flickering and even going out when the door was opened or shut! This is not a problem with the scope room as they are not mounted horizontally and the bulb "hangs" with no problem.

So thanks to Maplin's, I purchased a ES fitting and swapped it with the BC fitting (it now matches the red bulk heads).

Thats a shame Aoraki because they were good value.

I need a few clear lens bulk heads, so when I go to TLC next I'll ask them to swop over the red lens for clear ones and the I'll have the ES fitting.

I'm thinking of buying a couple of the red ones. I tried making a clear bulkhead red with red filter material but it wasn't very successful and looks a bit of a mess. Might as well make a proper job of everything while I'm at it :p

I'm thinking of buying a couple of the red ones. I tried making a clear bulkhead red with red filter material but it wasn't very successful and looks a bit of a mess. Might as well make a proper job of everything while I'm at it :p

Gina, at £5.40 each it's not worth making do, especially if you have a local TCL.

100w ES Weatherproof Bulkhead Light RED - IP65

• 4 weeks later...

Malc/Tony. Not much to update really, work (proper paid work) has been getting in the way some what. I have got the NEQ controlled via CDC/EQMOD, and I have mounted the C9.25 and the SW Startravel 80 on a ADM dual bar. What with one thing and another, I have only done some visual to align and test the system, I'm proud to say it works although I need to power the USB hub on the pier, I had problems when both the Starlight and Meade DSI cameras were running.

Other software on the laptop is: PHD, Stelerium and Astroart5. What I need now is a large amount of knowledge to be passed on to me, I have a vast amount to learn, so SGL members, get ready for the onslaught and barrage of questions!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived