Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aoraki's build

Aoraki

15th Oct 2011

Day off from building my shed. Just for a change me and Mick had a day building his daughter's Wendy house. Anyone know why they are called Wendy houses?

Mick had already got the base and floor down a previous day so we had a good start and made good progress making, cladding and erecting four wall. It was then Guiness o'clock!

Girlshed1.jpg

Girlshed2.jpg

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

16th Oct 2011

Back to my shed this morning and this was today's progress;

Spring latch fitted to locate roof in the closed position, also temporary stops fitted to stop the roof falling of the rear of shed! A (slow) test flight of roof was under taken and the tracks were fixed down in their final position. I was impressed by the smooth action and the little force required to move the roof considering I still haven't fitted the flat track to the central wheels yet and these were binding on the wood.

IMAG0260.jpg

Little by little.

IMAG0261.jpg

About half way..

IMAG0262.jpg

Nearly there...

IMAG0263.jpg

And final open docking position....

IMAG0264.jpg

IMAG0265.jpg

IMAG0270.jpg

I then turned my attention to the warm room ceiling. All joists fitted and 3/4 of the 6mm ply ceiling fitted.

IMAG0272.jpg

At this point I fitted two battens for the light fittings to screw to. I also first fixed the lighting circuits. I have allowed for two lights in the warm room and two lights in the scope room, each room will have one red and one white.

IMAG0275.jpg

And that was that for today, I'm getting there :D

This is coming along really fast... and as I said before, such a professional build quality.

Whilst wiring the observatory, make provisions for the kettle, toaster and convector heater... Definite essentials in any modern warm room :D

On a serious note, what form of insulation are you using in the warm room walls and ceiling. I opted for 30mm for walls and ceiling and 50mm under floor - it maintains around 6c difference (warm at night, cool in the summer) without any heating. As my obsy roof rolls over the warm room there is no risk of thermals when the heating is on - Barmy 23c in the warm room last night whilst it was single figures in the observatory !

If its not a rude question, can you provide any costings on materials, and any suppliers details for the parts used...

17th Oct 2011

A little bit of progress today, I got one wall of the warm room insulated and clad with ply. That's it, nothing else to report, I didn't take any photo's as we've all seen insulation and ply haven't we :)

Malc - Gina, insulation is nothing special, it's THIS ONE from B&Q. There is three rolls in a "tube" and each roll is actually two layers which will cover about six square metres. It's only £3 unless you try to buy it on B&Q's "trade card". Anyone care to guess the trade price?

Yikes!! Rockwool??!! Horrible itchy stuff that really needs total body protection, including respirator! I laid it in our loft many years ago and over estimated the amount required, resulting in having 4 double rolls over. I did think of using it for my warm room but decided against it. The very thought of it is making me itch!! :)

Itchy stuff.... without any heating etc the temp difference between my warm room and obsy is typically 6c (warmer in winter, cooler in summer) and that was using 30mm thick styrene blocks. Given the Rockwool has a higher R value you should be really warm and toasty, and may not even need supplemental heating. You'll be surprised how much heat a PC, 5A 13.8v PSU and a human body can generate in a small space - Having said that, I wouldn't be without my convector heater I put in last weekend - £19 from Comet, 750W & 1250W settings (2KW if combined) and thermostatically controlled :)

22nd Oct 2011

I didn't get an early start today as I had to go to work this morning, that put a spanner in the works :)

So a short day today but managed to get the final board fitted and all the Rockwool installed in the ceiling.

IMAG0292.jpg

Also insulated and sheeted two more walls in the warm room, fitted back boxes for one single and two double sockets.

IMAG0295.jpg

And that's that for today. I'll hopefully get the warm room ceiling boarded with the offcuts from boarding the scope room. I wasn't going to board this room but I think it will look much better.

Looking good... this is such a professionally looking build, I take my hat off to ya !

I have two "modifications" intended for my observatory. One is to replace the door. The other to line the scope room with ply, just to finish it off.

Keep the pictures coming...

Thanks,

It's two fold. As it stands I like the look, but I really want to put a window in as I tend to use the warm room as a retreat from the kids :) - (only kidding) seriously its to give natural light when doing stuff in the day time rather than having to have the lights on or door open, and to give it a little more security as the interior door used is a tad on the thin side.

23rd Oct 2011

Quite a good day's work today. I got all but a few small pieces of the ply sheeting in the scope and warm rooms completed.

IMAG0295.jpg

I also finished off the warm room roof, in the end I didn't use the off cuts but bought a couple more sheets of 6mm ply, right decission I belive.

IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0305.jpg

Just a couple off pieces to fit now, then I start the electrical 2nd fix. I really need the doors and windows as I'm fed up with keep taking down and putting back the tarp, but I'm in the hands of Mick the joiner and his merry band of men and they are very busy so I'm on the bottom of the list so to speak :)

OMG - That's looking really nice. I now want to line out my scope room with ply now !

One question though.... it looks very tight against the fence, is this going to be an issue with regular maintenance, ie applying preservative ??

Archived