Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How many of you....

scottydog

.....get up early in the morning to have a quick look through their scope before going to work? I'm planning on doing it tomorrow as this morning when I got up at 5-15 and looked out the back it was nice and clear.......Jupiter....Orion...the Pleiades all looking so beautiful... :p

I also prefer to stay out late than get up early but when you stay out, it's so easy for the time to just slip by and you keep saying to yourself, "...oh just another 15 mins and I really must start packing up" only to find 45 mins has just gone by. I think it must be my personal protest at the rubbish weather we've been having that when you finally get out there, you just want to stay out!

Clear skies

James

If it's clear of an evening I will stay up late rather than get up early. I have only come inside now because my camera battery just gave up after 2 hours of subs on the Ring nebula.

I am up at 6.30am every day anyway to make the kids packed lunches and then bike to work for 8.00, so I have so much to do that if I got up at 5am to have a quick hour's peek at the morning sky I just know I would loose track of time and be late for work or something.

Interesting replies & thoughts....I had a look at Jupiter at around 5-00 this morning & it was well worth getting up early for - just awesome.....I could make out 2 bands & the 4 moons were great all lined up diagonally - 3 one side & 1 on its own the other side if I remember correctly!! Looked for Mars but wasn't sure if I saw it or a Star?! I looked towards the East....also saw thw ISS go over.

Just wondered - compared to Jupiter - how big will Mars be in the EP? I know it's a lot closer to us than Jupiter but also a lot smaller - so it wont look as big as Jupiter does?

Cheers

I

Just wondered - compared to Jupiter - how big will Mars be in the EP? I know it's a lot closer to us than Jupiter but also a lot smaller - so it wont look as big as Jupiter does?

Cheers

Currently Mars is about 5" and Jupiter is about 48". It will however improve quite a lot by opposition in March.

I was just heading off for work & noticed Jupiter at 6:15, so quickly got out the trusty Tal, It was daylight & nothing else was visable. I could see Jupiter very well, all for moons & the belts had better contrast than the night before at 11pm. I could still see it clearly when it wasn't visable to the naked eye. Seemed quite cool to track & see a planet in daylight.

Last time I got up early for any astronomical related viewing, it was to see the 1999 solar eclipse (from a P&O ferry outside Le Havre). Yep it was worth it. But for doing some telescope work before work, no way, you go into a time warp, your enjoyment is spoiled by the need to be aware of the time ticking by. Such a shame, as the atmosphere is often more stable before dawn.

I am another one who prefers to do my viewing in the evening. Like others, I too could stay up all through the night to the early hours of the morning and then go to bed after a warm up and a hot cup of tea or something. I went out in the garden tonight at around 8pm looking at Jupiter and saw two dark belts and the four moons, two on each side,and came in by 12.30am. I really don't think I could actually bare the thought of getting up early in the morning from my nice warm bed to set up my refractor. I could if I really had to though.

Ann.

Archived