SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

To wear glasses or not?

A beginner's question about optics....

I'm short sighted (-1.5) with slight astigmatism. What's the best approach to take when observing with either bins or a (future) telescope?

1. remove glasses and use focus on bins/scope, not worry about eye relief
  2. wear glasses and buy suitable eyepieces

Obviously, this has a bearing on what eyepieces I can pick up going forward...

Cheers,

Dunkster

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it awkward to use my specs at the scope, so I don't do so.

I can focus any eyepiece to my eye. I would only use my glasses if I have anyone else with normal sharing the views.

It's different for imaging, when the camera sensor/film is dependent on the correct focus, so if Imaging, use your glasses. If they're Bi Focal, then the distance bit of the glasses is used to focus.

Ron.

hi I have the same prescription as yourself I observe two ways the first is to just live with taking the glasses off and on as extra lens in line will affect light and colour correction or to wear one contact lens on my none observer eye that way the stars are still visable and you have a clean eye at the eyepiece. If its a long session i use a pair of glasses with only the other lens in so that I get full correction when not using the eyepiece.

Hope that makes sence!!!

I always remove my glasses when using camera, bins or scope. I've never found manufacturers' claims that their particular instrument is OK with glasses is ever achieved in reality. When observing I hang my glasses round my neck using a cord I bought for a small sum in Boots.

I wear vari focals and always observe with themn on as I like to draw at the eyepiece so taking them on and off would be a pain.

I now have long eye relief (20mm) and wide angle eye pieces only - I wish I had done it years ago as the comfort increase means I can view MUCH longer.

I also keep my glasses on to observe and use long eye relief eyepieces. Some have 15mm and these are okay, but 20mm is better.

I do sketch quite a bit and then it is necessary to keep my glasses on, but I also found I actually prefer the view through the eyepiece with my glasses than without. I am -1.5 as well but no astigmatism.

The Televue web site suggests that observers with astigmatism should keep glasses on while observing, observers without astigmatism should take their glasses off, but I certainly prefer the view with glasses on, so each to their own.

I used to wear glasses to find the things and then take then off to observe. This was a bit annoying, especially when observing with others who then had to focus quite a bit of travel to see what I was seeing etc.

I find contact lenses a good compromise although sometimes they flare a little when I am tired.

I used to wear contact lenses, but had one freeze to my eyeball one winter while riding my bike :glasses2: a most unpleasant experience... I didn't want to take the risk of having one stick to an eyepiece so I've never tried observing with contacts in.

I have similar eyes to you. Generally, day to day, I'm wearing contact lenses so obviously when I'm at the scope that all works fine. But if I happen not to have them in then I don't wear my glasses, and let the scope's focuser do the work of correcting my short-sightedness. This avoids any issues with my specs making it awkward to get near the eyepieces.

Mind you, the one disadvantage of this is that I can't so easily glance up and enjoy the night sky, as I would otherwise.

i'm -2.0 or something. i take mine off at the ep - not being able to see the field stop really winds me up for some reason, like someone's head in front of the bit of the cinema screen. the problem i have is needing them on to use the telrad, then taking them off at the ep. i should get one of those cords to go round my neck - i actually broke a pair the other day when collimating the scope. it turns out the floor is a bad place to put your glasses. who'd have thought it?

I am -4.75 and -5.0 with slight astigmatism.

With binoculars I leave them on, the newer one's have wind out rubber eyecups that work perfectly with glasses. Often out looking with binoculars day and night.

Have now collected eyepieces that have longer eye relief and will wear my glasses when looking through the scopes.

Also find if I take them off I ever spend time trying to locate them or fear bending them if in a pocket.

Mind you I always have glass lens in the glasses and they are more solid and in general damage proof then plastic ones.

I am short sighted (-2.5) and have astigmatism. I find I need to use my glasses to view with my low powers but with my 8mm and higher the exit pupil of the light coming from the EP bypasses the astigmatism and I can take off my glasses and can focus . I agree it is is rather a faff with the on/off as I cannot see the sky without them. I have bought EPs with good eye relief as my hubby also wears glasses so we are both in the same boat. I am now trying out some varifocal contact lenses as the old reading is going now as well! So far so good I have had a bit of a funny experience when I was not quite in the right position with my 4mm EP all I could see was the contact lens on my eye then I remembered to twist the eyecup up.

I'm -7.5 on one eye with astigmatism on both, maybe that was why I was so quick in a car at race circuits? :rolleyes:

For me it depends on eye relief whether the glims are on or off, bit of a nuisance when aligning scope and finder when the Crystal Palace transmitter masts disappear without the glasses. ;)

Whatever feels best for you, so try and make your own decision as no one sees or feels what you see and feel. :glasses2:

Great to hear everyone's experiences/practices - thanks! Glad I'm not alone :p

Had a good couple of hours observing last night with my bins and I did get a little frustrated when I left my glasses off, not being able to look up and see more of where I was aiming for.

I also tried rolling out the rubber eye things and only found that made me more conscious when wearing my glasses ;)

I guess this is something I'll need to continue to experiment with, and as I head towards my scope purchase, just try and shy away from ep with little eye relief... that gives me the choice, right? Glasses on for shared sessions, on or off for solo.

I'm assuming that focussing on a telescope will be able to correct for my short-sightedness?

I wear glasses too and sometimes I find it hard to get some binocluars into focus with no glasses, there is not sufficient focus movement, but no such problem with my Russian binos now :p When observing with the telescope, I slip my glasses on my forehead, which sometimes gets annoying when they fall back down just when looking to the EP:) but it is way better than with glasses on

I am very short sighted, have significant astigmatism and have presbyopia (age!) so I wear glasses almost all the time for observing. When obsering with a partner it is helpful if there is little refocusing to do.

My normal spectacles are varifocal but it can be difficult to keep ones eye on the distant part of the lens. I have recently bought (at some expense) a pair of glasses specifically for observing, with a long distance observing lens and the other short distance for looking at charts. They are worth it, though I could have got a fancy eyepiece for the same money. The TMB planetary eyepieces with glasses do reflect a ghost image which can be distracting. For very high powers on planets with the exit pupil less than 1mm, I do sometimes observe without glasses and can use short focal length orthos with little eye relief to give more detail on planets.

Jupiter was just wonderful this morning, though, with glasses on at 130x.

I wear contacts 12/7 and have never even considered trying to observe without them. I do have some glasses (which I paid the price of a nice Nagler for) and never wear them. Maybe I should give it a try without lenses to observe and maybe get some use from my glasses with a cord round the neck for seeing what i'm doing

Archived