Howdy from Texas!

Loridori4

New here...thought I'd introduce myself. Im not an astronomer, but fascinated with all things sky and space related.

Oh...and fascinated with Google sky!

I'm yearning for 3rd generation night vision goggles, but boy are they pricey!

So for now...it's star gazing and Google Sky:)

Oh...and this is what brought me here. Can anyone explain what this is? Or lead me to a thread where this has already been discussed? If you turn off infrared, the object disappears. Link below.

Thanks!

http://www.google.com/sky/#latitude=13.004557745339781&longitude=-33.431396484375&zoom=7&Spitzer=0.00&ChandraXO=0.00&Galex=0.00&IRAS=100.00&WMAP=0.00&Cassini=0.00&slide=1&mI=-1&oI=-1

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum

I guess you have been following the exploits of a fellow countryman Mr Ed Grinsley? I gather he modifies generation II night vision goggles to be as sensitive as the III - he's been observing some interesting stuff.

Clear skies in the meantime!

James

Hi and welcome. The glitch seems to be a completely saturated source in infrared, with no visibly component. I checked with the historical view that it is on the ecliptic (in Leo). I cannot find any source there in other wavelengths. Maybe it is a capture of a planet (Jupiter?) in the infrared image (although I would guess they would filter them out of the survey), which does not show up in the visible wavelengths. If new captures of the area are made, it may disappear.

Archived