Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lets talk Kelling

Doc

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Make sure everything is out of the car, most people just cover hem up with tape. Remember your interior boot light as well.

Good point. I'll sabotage the boot tomorrow night when I pack. I'll also bring the gaffer / masking tape and some newspaper just to make sure.

I thought I'd share my project for this evening. Laptop done (doesn't warrant a picture, it's obvious enough!) but here's the DSLR .....

post-23057-133877664292_thumb.jpg

I have plenty of gel I will be bringing with me (in case another layer is needed or one fails,) if anyone needs some to block a light source.

I've also checked all my equip flight cases, cleans lenses/EPs, given sensors a quick dust off (too tired now to clean properly.)

All I need to do is remember to pack the tent ......

.... and the beer ....

.... and the hobnobs for bribes ....

I have plenty of gel I will be bringing with me (in case another layer is needed or one fails,) if anyone needs some to block a light source.

I might need some gel. Just remembered I haven't got enough for my monitor.

I know Rusty's got some as well, so I'm sure I will be looked after.

I wish you all clear skies and warm weather!! Cannot get myself but look forward to all the gossip next week at Belper.. Safe journeys all.

We live just off the A17 between Newark and Sleaford, give us a wave on your way to Norfolk!!

Glad you got all there ok, we turned back :glasses2: The A47 was closed the traffic was horrendous took us hours to travel 55 miles. I wasn't feeling too well before and the stress was making me worse! (I have a thyroid problem, very tired!) On top I was getting a cold, felt shivery/fever and achy headache, muscles killing me my knee felt like it was gonna explode from all the stop/crawl/stop....We got to a place called Eye near Peterborough took 3.5 hrs and 55 miles from Leics to Eye!! Kids getting upset in the car....traffic for miles ahead at a standstill, people got out the cars. It was dark so we decided to turn round and head home. Was gonna start out this morning but I keep going dizzy, along with aches/headeaches/cough..not good for driving. Gutted, packed everything in the car, had to buy a new tent (don't ask!) so spent loads just to go....and we didn't make it. I might give these things a miss in future seems every time we try something get's in the way :rolleyes: I found out this morning it was a lorry fire that closed the road ;)

I don't have anyones numbers to text, I could have let you know somehow. It was awful, i'm sure most of you have experienced major hold ups like it....I'd had a pretty stressful day as it was!! Good to hear my pitch was used anyway.....the car is still packed I haven't got the energy to unpack it....colds really take it out of you huh. Last year Lewis decided he wasn't going to go because of the tent noise and the wind....this year nothing was said so I was really hoping to make it...only to be defeated by a lorry and colds URGH! Might just stick to backyard astronomy....at least I know I can actually make it out there with no drama!!

My quick summary of a top weekend!

First the soppy bit - thanks to everyone from EMS (and also those not!) who were there and helped my newbish first star party self. I won't compile a list (as I'd forget someone and feel bad,) but everyone was extremely welcoming and helpful ;)

It took me 6 hours (maybe it was 5, I lost track ...) due to the A47 problems mentioned above to get there, but only 3 back. Amazing what one little road closure can do ...

Imaging wise was a bust for me, what little gaps we got in the evening hours I was usually too busy staring up and going WOW lots :eek: I don't mind though, I can work on imaging at home.

Visually the milky way was mind blowing. A first for me, and I can't wait to get back to see it again. It does have one side effect though .... when you are used to star hopping with maybe 20 to 30 stars in the sky, having too many to count makes it a LOT more difficult! The first night I didn't really get round much other than Jupiter.

M31 appeared to my eyes to have a lot more detail than at home. The core and surrounding clouds were much more distinct and shapely than the usual blob I am accustomed to.

I also hit the Veil at the second attempt. That was another WOW moment. It was clear and defined with the 32mm Panaview, but when I put the Oiii filter in - I can't remember who said the quote but it was like turning on a (green) light bulb :eek:

Jupiter put on a show for me, at home I can normally make out two fuzzy bands - at Kelling I could see all sorts of detail, and much more distinct detail than just a band.

I also managed a bit of solar on Saturday morning (first run out for the Baader film and Continuum filter.) I think the more time I can spend on those, the better it will get. The sun spots really jump out at lower magnification with the continuum. I tried at 285x, but the results weren't great. I think the 3.5mm Hyperion might have to go to a new home, I personally didn't get on with it by day or night.

I also got a chance to look through a PST. I knew I shouldn't of but .. OMG I NEED ONE! Visually observing a prominence, wow oh wow oh wow.

Finally I walked past this when I went to have a nose round the trade stands. Funnily enough my wife mis read the price (she thought it ws £500) and said I could bring it home if I could fit it in the car!

I think it was a Zeiss 8" refactor. I can't remember the focal ratio but it must of been about F7?

post-23057-133877666065_thumb.jpg

So again, thanks to everyone and I look forward to seeing you at either the dark sites, or another big meet, or in person round your house as I have two invites at the very least I intend to take up :p

PS Still non smoking, despite the bad roads and other smokers around ;) 8 days and still going strong!

Another excellent star party, it was good to see all you guys.

A leisurely 3 hour drive down to Kelling on thursday, arrived early afternoon in convoy with Red Dwalf.

Set up tents, then a pizza from the onsite cafe, then 3 hours imaging on M31.

Friday took steam train to Sherringham with Mr and Mrs Baz, spent a afternoon wandering around and ended up in the sea front pub, missed last train back and ended up getting a taxi!

Imaged some Veil that night, played with Docs new scope and mount, nice bottle of red.

Saturday visited trade and buy and sell stands. Went into Sherringham for stuff for BBQ. 15 people for a BBQ then at about midnight started 3 hours imaging on M45. Several Speckled Hen and a bottle of red.

Started 2 hours on Horsehead at about 4am, went round to wake Brantuk up for a coffee, and observing with Rusty Strmgs untill 6am.

3 hours sleep and then up for full breakfast with Red Dwalf.

Packed up and then get home 3pm after steady 3 hour journey back.

We wrapped up and came home a day early, as the weather forecast showed cloud building into rain for this morning.

Glad we did as it has rained at Kelling, so I don't have to dry out the tent. :p

We got back at ten last night, so just starting to unload the car.

We wrapped up a day early as well and I'm glad I did as it was windy and poured down. We drove the short distance to our static caravan and spent the night there, and then drove back on Monday morning.

Nice to see everyone and meet a few new people as well. Weather wise it was pretty bad, only got a few hours of observing over the weekend.

Thanks to Glider and Nick for showing me where I'm going wrong with the HEQ5.

BBQ was great and once again I set fire to my table, that table has seen some good party's :p

Anyway until next time.....

Archived