Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lets talk Kelling

Doc

Got back at 6:30pm tonight - didn't leave till 3:15pm due to visitors and hundreds of stuff to pack away with a bad back. There was a little light rain this morning but the sun came out and everything was dry by 11am.

Small amendment to Gliders post - he turned up at 2 am - I dragged myself out of bed and made us both tea - then he broke wind in the awning and cleard off lol.

Following morning a camera crew from Anglian TV came round and I did a piece to camera for about a minuit extolling the virtues of the Altair Astro 115mm triplet. You'll either see me on the early evening news or QVC lol.

We didn't even power up the CPC cos the 115mm triplet was so awesome. It was all visual (cos I'm a naff imager). Managed to track Jupiter in daylight till it faded away about two thirds of the way across the ecliptic. The moon was brilliant in it - could see Buz Aldrins footprints lol. But at night the Pliades was awesome with a 35mm Panoptic, and the Ring Neb was amazing with the Ethos 13mm and 2x Powermate as was the Orion Neb with trapezium very distinct and sharp. First proper run with the scope and ep's so I'm extremely impressed.

The bbq on Sat night has got to be the funniest bit of astronomy I've ever done - it was hilarious and my sides were splitting for the best part of seven hours. Bit of advice - don't ever let Doc near a hole he can stick his fingers in lol :p

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like you had a good time Kim, wish I could have been there but theres SGL7 and Kelling 2012 to look forward to.

I like you have discovered the virtues of the well behaved and easy to use refractor, got rid of a nasty C11 thingy once I used my 127EDT a few times. The skies at Kelling are perfect for them, last year I took my little ED102 and was gob smacked at just what I was able to see with it.

Phil

@Philj - It was a smashing time thanks, and I know you had stuff to deal with but we still missed you mate.

@Rusty - I'm hoping to get to Belper but might not cos I have a job in Milton Keynes on Sat and (if it's still on) and might be late back. If I do make it I will indeed bring th 115mm EDT.

@Kh3ldar - I'm glad it wasn't just me - that's cathartically helped me achieve closure lol.

Lol that's a great recreation, that mick will stick his finger in anything it seems, I left the caps on all my scopes and eyepieces when I saw him comoing... I have never heard of some one putting there finger in a heq5 polar scope and getting it trapped by the slew and then a few moments later getting said finger stuck in a bottle of red lol

Hi

Not sure how you managed to get to the A47 at all from Sheffield? Its a straight run A1 A17 to Kings Lynn and then up the B roads to Kelling? You went a looooonnng way round?

Glad you got all there ok, we turned back :p The A47 was closed the traffic was horrendous took us hours to travel 55 miles. I wasn't feeling too well before and the stress was making me worse! (I have a thyroid problem, very tired!) On top I was getting a cold, felt shivery/fever and achy headache, muscles killing me my knee felt like it was gonna explode from all the stop/crawl/stop....We got to a place called Eye near Peterborough took 3.5 hrs and 55 miles from Leics to Eye!! Kids getting upset in the car....traffic for miles ahead at a standstill, people got out the cars. It was dark so we decided to turn round and head home. Was gonna start out this morning but I keep going dizzy, along with aches/headeaches/cough..not good for driving. Gutted, packed everything in the car, had to buy a new tent (don't ask!) so spent loads just to go....and we didn't make it. I might give these things a miss in future seems every time we try something get's in the way ;) I found out this morning it was a lorry fire that closed the road :eek:

Sheffield? Lol.....Leics....Not from Sheffield :)

I would still like help collimating my scope and setting up the CCD, things I was hoping to do at Kelling. Will have to try and sort that out soon.

Hi

I dont know why I just got it fixed into my head you was at sheffield near Meadowhall.. Who is the lady member that is from there and keeps saying she is going to come to the dark site? Anyone know?

Andy

Archived