NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

favourite astro snack ?

hemihaggis

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't usually snack, but at the Gornergrat observatory peanuts were a favourite, and a guy would poke his head round the corner at 2am and ask if we wanted "Pasta semplice" (always say yes when an Italian offers to cook you food). We usually got "Aglio e olio" (lightly fried garlic and olive oil) with Parmesan on spaghetti. Brilliant. When I get seriously hungry I might quickly cook some pasta, drizzle some white truffle oil over it, add a generous helping of freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and go strait to heaven!

Otherwise I just get some Dutch "stroopwafels" (best from the marketplace in Groningen, closest thing to elven waybread on earth).

I don't usually snack, but at the Gornergrat observatory peanuts were a favourite, and a guy would poke his head round the corner at 2am and ask if we wanted "Pasta semplice" (always say yes when an Italian offers to cook you food). We usually got "Aglio e olio" (lightly fried garlic and olive oil) with Parmesan on spaghetti. Brilliant. When I get seriously hungry I might quickly cook some pasta, drizzle some white truffle oil over it, add a generous helping of freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and go strait to heaven!

Otherwise I just get some Dutch "stroopwafels" (best from the marketplace in Groningen, closest thing to elven waybread on earth).

I think you win the tastiest astro snack award...

+1 to the stroopwafels. Aldi have started selling a mediocre version but there's a company in Wales we discovered while on holiday near Cardigan that makes fantastic ones. The chocolate coated ones may not be for the purist but they are divine!

+1 also to the tea & chocolate hobnobs (I really hope you mean dark choc!).

For long nights, it has to be a flask of pea soup (something of a local / national delicacy for you, I believe michael.h.f.w? My dad is from Amsterdam and the recipe I use is an old one from his family - it is practically a stew by day 2 when the potatoes and celeriac have started disintegrating). Preferred accompaniment is buttered chunks of freshly baked brown bread (set bread maker going a few hours earlier and bingo!).

I love pastry cooking but sadly most desserts don't go too well with exepnsive gear in the dark :glasses2:

Bacon sandwiches an absolute must for the morning and also a good emergency snack if neede din the night.

A flask of Yorkshire tea and just a small amount of whiskey in it for medicinal purposes :glasses2: Just plain digestives as a snack for me and not too many either as my blood sugar levels tend to go through the roof :rolleyes:

Archived