Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Who's Watching the Supernova in M101?

rabbithutch

I just read an article in USA Today that says there is a supernova occurring in one of the pinwheel arms of M101. This is probably old news to everyone here but me, but I hope some of the AP experts will image it for those of us who will miss it.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm hoping that it will become bright enough to pierce the clouds....

Made me chuckle :)

My efforts at capturing it HERE

Cheers

Excellent - I really hope the cloud goes before it does - I want to try to image it myself!

I'm afraid I don't know that part of the sky much at all so probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and anything else that's normally there.

M101 sounds like a good target anyway, might see if I can find it in my 8SE when the moon is gone. Just my luck if there's a tree in the way!

However well you know the sky there, you'll still need a photo of the galaxy to figure out which star is the SN. I found it quite hard, actually. There are a lot of field stars and from more light polluted areas only the galaxy core is visible.

There are several bright stars near the galaxy so you'll need a chart. You'll want one with a scale and orientation (North and East), because it's easy to get confused. To the "right" doesn't help much because it's ambiguous. The scope may or may not invert the view in that dimension. Also, the FOV will rotate as the night progresses.

I spent quite some time hunched over my scope on Sunday morning trying to find this. I had lovely clear skies in rural Fife, but the almost-full moon was too strong an opponent.

I could only resolve as far as magnitude 7 at best. Near-pathological wishful thinking aside, I couldn't even make out M101 itself let alone the magnitude 11 supernova.

I have heard people say this event is visible through binoculars. I must say I'm struggling to believe this, unless they mean it's visible through binoculars on a crystal clear, moonless night, from the top of a stepladder perched on the summit of Everest*.

*lengths to which I am unwilling to go

I tried to track it down last night with my 4" refractor, but between the moon and the LP toward the NW from my house, I couldn't even get a wisp of M101. Tonight I am going to my dark site and try to image it...will still have the moon to deal with, but at least the LP will be better. Here in central IL, looking cloudy for this weekend, but tonight is crystal clear...wanna give it go while I can.

If I manage to get it, will post here....

Joe

from my very LP'd London garden I have never seen even a hint of the galaxy but it's position is a very easy starhop from Mizar (I've done it under dark skies with a smallish scope). The supernova itself was actualy quite easy to see in my 10" dob once I'd found it but finding it was hard - I used cartes du ciel with the corrected newtonian view and the eyepiece circles to identify it. Ironically, i think the LP actually helped becasue there were less stars to confuse me.

Archived